SD Card Reader says the card is write-protected

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhammer

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
It seems that the lock switch on an sd card doesn't do anything to the card itself. When it is in the forward position it depresses a contact in the card reader.If it doesn't protrude out far enough it won't move that contact to the left far enough to release the lock. Tape on that side doesn't keep the lock switch from moving; it adds enough to the switch to trigger the contact

farmer62

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hi

I have had the same problem with a 2gb micro sd card.

Saw all the resonses and none worked (slide on card and tape etc)

It took me about 5 hours but here's what i did.

1. I put the card into my digital camera and took a couple of photos and then formatted it using the camera software.

2. This then let me copy files but changed the size of the sd to 1gig (seems it put a partition I couldn't access or see onto the disk.

3. I then formatted the disk accepting that it was only 1gig. (don't know if you have to do this but i did it along the way)

4. I then downloaded Compuapps SwissKnifem (link- www.compuapps.com/Download/swissknife/swissknife.htm) then used it to reformat the disk. It removed the partition and rest the sd to 2 gig. (By the way you have to remove and insert the didk to see the changes.

I have just downlaode and 300mb divx file to it no problems.

Hope this helps

farmer62

teacher61

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I had the same problem with several cards but eventually found a way around it. DON'T buy a new one!

Make sure the SD card lock is 'off' and then use thin, opaque sticky tape (ie non see-through; eg insulation tape) to cover the whole gap but keep clear of the metal contacts at the back.

Your card should work fine now... don't know why this has to be done, but it works!
Additional info:
Reason #1, the mechanical lock switch accidentally moves to the "locked" position during insertion due to the poor quality of the switch. Hence, by taping it, you are actually preventing the lock switch to travel towards the lock position. i.e. downwards.
Reason #2, if the above fails, it is likely your SD card reader/writer's fault.
But don't discard it or buy a new one yet. Allow me to explain the mechanical design of the SD card lock mechanism. So that you may choose to repair it if you want to.
You will need a small paper clip and screw-driver to open your card reader. (Don't proceed if your card reader is still under warranty, please return/exchange with manufacturer)
There is a mechanical switch very much like a micro push button (I wish I could show you the picture/drawing). Anyway, depending on the position of the lock switch. You either push or release this micro push button inside the SD card reader. Due to mechanical wear and tear, or some forceful insertion of the SD card, the micro push button is in its "open" circuit position, i.e. write-protected. In order to make the SD card reader writable, we will need to "close" the circuit.
(Note: this is an irreversible process as I will be telling you how to remove the write-protection feature of your SD card reader. Once you do this, you would be unable to use the SD card lock switch to lock your data. So, just be careful not to accidentally delete your data)
To proceed, you need to remove the main circuit board from the SD card reader/writer enclosure.
The location of the micro push button switch is the same location as the unlock position of the SD card when inserted in the SD card reader/writer.
From the BACK of the exposed SD card reader, insert the unfolded paper clip (same way when you try to poke something like a device reset button) except, that it has to be long enough to allow the micro switch to touch together for contact. Then insert the SD card.
Once the contact is "closed", your SD card reader/writer can write again.

Taken from Wikianswers

G

Tried the tape and it did not work, however while the SD was in the reader I pushed/put lateral pressure on it towards the side the lock switch is on and it finally allowed me to upload and delete files. Not sure if it would have worked without the tape but worth a try.

garnetsoul

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
This happened to me and I came here for answers but to no avail, so I slide the lock on the left side up to the unlock position!

Andy10

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
i have 2 kingston micro sd cards i tried the sd addaptors but it will not work one is 2GB the other is 4GB wich is also a sdhc i tried both of them and they say write protected and i need help it is for a presentation in 2 days SOS please help me

miss1087

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I have just tried the tape thing and it did not work at first. Then I pushed the tape in and went back into the drive then into each folder and went to properties and was finally able to remove the READ ONLY box and thus delete and add files that needed changing.

corc337

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
It certainly isn't a simple problem. I have two Kodak SD cards I got at the same time and have not used either very much.

One works just fine in my laptop reader and with 2 different card readers, I can add & subtract files with no problem.

The other has the Write Protect (WP) problem. I can read picture files off it, but whether in the laptop or either card reader, I cannot write to it. Tape does not seem to help nor does moving the write protect tab slightly one way or another.

Both SD chips seem absolutely identical. I do not see the slightest physical difference between then. The one with the WP problem does not seem to have any deformation, warp, dirt, burrs, gunk, or anything else. The WP tab seems to move the same way on both, to be just as solid on both, and does not seem to slip out of place in the slightest on the problem chip.

Considering this happens with three different chip readers, it does not seem to be a problem with the little switch in the readers, tho shorting out the switch might do the trick. The picture of the opened SD chip in Wikipedia makes it perfectly clear that there is absolutely no internal connection for the tab. So I am baffled as to why one of two seemingly totally identical chips would work and the other not. So it seems to be some kind of problem within the chip, and not with the laptop, the readers, the write protect switch, or the software.

sdlong02

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I see several people here being adamant about this being ONLY a hardware issue with the lock switch. The first reference I read while trying to resolve this issue, stated that many manafacturers ARE doing software locks on the micro SD cards.

As far as I can tell, that is the exact issue I am experiencing. With the same SD chip plugged into my card reader, I swapped Micro SD cards -- one is write protected, one is not, without the lock switch ever being moved.

I still went on to try the tape method, since some of the posts here are so sure of themselves, but a software lock is definitely a possibility. The card is locked to a point that any changes that it does allow me to make, automatically revert themselves, I cannot format the card in Windows, or using the Panasonic SD card formatter, one stating an error and the other stating write protection.

G

If all else fail, try this..worked for me

- Start Menu -> Run -> type ‘regedit’ (without the quotes) -> Hit Enter !
- Now take a backup of your registry, incase something goes wrong:
- Right Click on ‘My Computer’ -> ‘Export’ > save it on the Desktop.
- Now Browse through these tabs:
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
- Double click on the string ‘WriteProtect’ and change the ‘Value Data’ box to ‘0’
- On Toolbar, Click on File -> Export -> Save it anywhere with any name like ‘WriteProtection01.reg’ or anything.
- You need to repeat the step 3 - step 5 with every string on folder named ‘ControlSet***’ (* = any Digit, i.e. 001, 002) - that is, instead of currentcontrolset, repeat the steps for folders controlset***
- For Example :
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\StorageDevicePolicies
- Again export it on same directory as before, named as ‘WriteProtection0**.reg’

Note : These exports are just incase you need to revert the changes in your registry, to revert, just double click on the *.reg file, and click yes when it prompts.

Source: http://www.pegor.com/tutorials-how-to/mics-tutorials/how-to-remove-write-protection-from-usb-drive

G

If you look on the SD card itself, there should be a little tiny white flip switch, do that and hopefully it will work. x

tyty896

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
I have a HP Pavilion running vista but when i put the card when i flip the switch it won't go in the slot. any help

tekwratih

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Hello,

I have had this problem on two separate printers, a Cannon and an HP. Both issues were solved by going into the settings and changing the printer settings. Many manufacturers are making the default setting on these printers as read only. This is to protect your images from accidental deletion of formatting while using the printer only and not going through the computer to print.

I would suggest that you stop putting tape on your cards as this can cause build up on the card and the reader and cause further problems in the future. Look very carefully through the printer manual and if all else fails send an email to the tech department of the company.

Forcing a hardware shift on a printer card reader is not a good idea.

-Tek

G

Wow it actually worked!! Thanks!

Djmart

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Tekwratih is right my problem was solved by going into my canon all-in-one's menu and changing the setting to read and write (it was set at the default read only) after unsuccessfully trying the tape etc.

G

thanks alot. this micro sd adapter has been giving me problems since day one. it didn't matter before, but since i lost my external card reader i have to use the built in one.

jacquesvbs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Hi All

I tried the sticky tape, make sure that the sd card is in the unlock position and stick it down.

that seems to work for me,

ns: i have noticed that when the card is inserted some how the lock moves to the middle and shows as locked, the sticky tape should solve this problem

good luck

Jacques Van Buren-Schele

G

My new SD card continued to say it is write protected. I followed Poopys advice above and it worked great. I moved the lock switch about half way between Locked and not locked and sure enough, the write protection was removed and I was able to add and remove files with ease.

Try it. It is an easy fix.

G

With my new SD Card, when I first plugged it in it came up with the message " Write protection is on" and all I did to fix it was switch the 'on' off' toggle and leave it in the middle, this seemed to be an easy way of fixing this problem
Hope it helps xx

Richard Vaughan

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Had the exact problem described by others. Tried different cards of different sizes from various manufacturers and was careful on the lock tabs and no cards were SDHC. Alas, it was not the SD card(s), it was the internal multi-card reader in an HP v2000 series laptop. After reading about how these card readers operate, I simply inserted the card slowly and didn't jam the card in as deeply as before. Problem solved and writes fine now to all the cards previously not working. Hope that helps. Let me know your results. RRVaughan

ShamrockMoon

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I think you are all amazing!!! Thank you for the help. I had to do it a bunch of times, but my patience paid off. I used the tape and jiggled the sd card around in the slot and it finally let me write to the card. I have the one with the micro sd for my phone and I was getting disgruntled! I imagine it is a problem with the card reader on my desktop (hp pavillion that was made last year) because I have a problem with my camera card sometimes also.

Thank you everyone!!!

leosachs

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Hi,

I am using a SANDISK MicroSD 1GB Card in Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit edition. I put my card into MicroSD-SD Card adapter. There is a write lock on the left side of the card adapter. If the lock is up then your card is write-protected. If the lock is down then it is NOT write-protected. However, in both cases it says "the card is write protected". I was wondering that what could be the problem. Several guys suggested putting tape on the adapter. However, don't do it as it will spoil your card slot.

My conclusion: It could be a build problem in the card slot in HP notebooks or in the card adapter. I figured that if I put the lock up leaving a little space from top and then insert it then i works fine!

Regards
Prateek Sachan

dilis

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I kept getting an error message saying my SD card was write protected, regardless of the Lock switch position. I couldn't even format the SD card, nor erase any of the files. So I put in my Nikon camera and it formatted it there without error (the files were now gone). But despite that, Windows XP reported it still could not format the card despite having the Nikon successfully formatting it before hand.

The solution for me was to delete the folder that the Nikon had created and that there could have been a hidden system file inside that folder. Windows XP was now finally then able to format it.

G

This happened to me on my digital camera. One minute it worked and the next time I went to use it, it said "write protected." I was reading through the previous answers, and one guy suggested tape over the switch on the side. I didn't know what that meant, so I looked. There is a little switch on the side of the disc that has gotten moved into lock position. Just move it back, and you're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.