SD Card Reader says the card is write-protected

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fmarks

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hi! I believe i can help you with your problem. first, take the sd card, next flip the white nob the other way, now try it!

betty715

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Simple solution I found on Yahoo Answers... I did try it and it totally WORKS. I used regular, clear scotch tape BTW.

I can help. What is not the problem, is the position of the switch entirely. With the SD card Face up and the tiny white plastic switch on the left side, should be slid toward the card edge connector (the shortest side). I know you may have done this and it still doesn't work. Here's why, On the opposite side of the SD card from the switch, there is a tiny "Notch" cut out.

Place a piece of tape, masking, electrical, sometimes transparent will work. Be very precise in placing the tape over the notch, but not over the brass connector on the opposite side. Then place it in your card reader, format it, read and write files to your desire.

This is a little known issue with the design of all SD cards. The notch forces them to work in camera's, MP3 Players, PDA's, etc. that are portable devices, but not in USB card readers or computers with SD reader slots.

The card reader with the SD card has this extra built in feature to protect copyrights (for some reason on blank cards), and makes it useless for custom applications. Once you have "Unprotected" the SD card, installed your files, then remove the tape.

If you get the same error again after applying the tape, add a second layer. Double check that you did not cover the connection edge, and the plastic tab is closet to the side you insert in the device you are using.

Sometimes it takes several tries, but it will work with patience. If you have existing files on the SD card, insert it, right click, select properties. Then remove the "Read Only" check by the box and try to delete or add files then. If it says Disk Write Protected, then check the tape again.

It's annoying, but it will work with patience to bypass this design flaw.

ugly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I have a Lenovo R61 with an inbuilt SD card reader.

Every SD card I put in it was write protected.

I tried 2 of the methods mentioned: I taped over the write protection switch and that worked. Then I took the tape off and moved the switch down 1mm towards the "write protected" end and then I could write to the SD card again.

Thanks for the help.

corc337

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

corc337

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
OK, I have it working, somehow.

First, I found, much to my surprise, that I could delete and re-name files on the supposedly write-protected disk. then I could re-write the deleted files. And then I could write other files also.

Then I took off all the tape and it still worked.

So it seems that it was something electronic internal to the disk - a software problem of some sort.

robdean

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009

HP guy told me to try couple things.

1) he told me the same thing you suggested, so I tried with my
co-worker's Palm One SD card and that worked FINE!

2) And then he told me to download this HP Enhancement Software for XP
SP2, so I did, but that didn't make my problem go away.

So I am left with the conclusion that HP zt3000 Notebook's SD card
reader is INCOMPATIBLE with SanDisk's SD card.

Anyone got a good idea?

im having the same problem but i have a gateway

robdean

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009

THANX!!!!I T WORKED THANX A BUNCH I WAS GETTING SOOO MAD THAT I COULDN'T PUT MY THINGS ON MY SD CARD BUT NOW I CAN

RonS17

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I had this problem, but found that the problem lay in the registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENT\CONTROLSETCONTROL
has a 'Storage Device Policies' area where you can opt to ban USB based updates by inputting a 1 to the registry. Look in your registry and if yours has a 1 replace it with a 0 (zero).

I am indebted to "My Digital Life" TIP #110 for this advice.

RonS

brewerpedin

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
Seems there are many message boards and blogs with people reporting SD and SDHC "write protect" errors when attempting to format, or write to (i.e. drag and drop) files to these memory devices. Many of the early and even current PC's and laptops have mult-format memory device READERS, these are read only, and Windows will incorrectly identify the lack of write capability in the "READER" as a "Write Protect Error".

Be sure your computer has a multiformat memory card device that is both READ and WRITE capable, AND, appropriate Windows drivers are loaded to support that device.

Bottom line, don't expect a "READER" to also be a "WRITER", like is the norm for USB controllers and USB Memory Sticks!

And if you find that your PC only has "READ" capable multimedia support, do not despair! Just go buy a USB to Multimedia memory card READER/WRITER, be sure to install it's drivers, and you are ready to go!

corc337

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
So I tried tape, and it didn't work. Then I tried deleting and adding files and it worked a bit, but not very well.

Finally I found a full working solution - I went to My computer, right clicked on the the drive that the card was labeled as and then clicked FORMAT and re-formatted as FAT-32. After that I was able to write to the card no problem.

keko99

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Most cards have a little switch on the left side edge and a "lock" sign. Your card may be locked, just slide it to the opposite side, be careful not to do it too hard because the card enclosure may open. This should take care of the "Write protected" status.

michelm

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
hi I don't know what part I'm answering to but all I can tell you the hint to place a little bit of tape over the protection switch (I guess it has to be in the open position but not sure about that) all I know it worked very well for me. I used just ordinary transparent tape, unreal! I had almost given up.
I us W Xp and a transcend card reader and I think a Zone SD card but all my sd card refused to read b4 the tape hint.
I don't know why it would not work with one of previous entries, just glad it works with me Cheers and thanks for the tip.
Michelm

WHEN IT SAYS REMOVE THE CARD READER PROTECTION....YOU HAVE TO LOOK ON THE CARD ITS THERE A SMALL BUTTON ...CHECK IT ..IT CAN BE ON THE LOOK POSITION ....AND IF THE CARD ITS LOOKED...IT DOESNT WORK...SORRY FOR MY ENGHLISH

GOTTA LOVE THE INTERNET. I WAAS SO FRUSTRATED AND DIDN'T WANT TO BUY ANOTHER CARD. I BLAMED MY BRAND NEW HP LAPTOP FOR THE PROBLEM AND AFTER READING THESE POST I CHANGED THAT SWITCH ON THE SIDE BY SLIDING IT UP AND TAKING IT OFF OF LOCK AND WHHHAAALLAA. I CAN NOW DELETE AND MOVE FORWARD. ALL I WANTED TO DO IS CLEAN UP MY DISK AND TRANSFER EVERYTHING FROM MY CARD AND DESKTOP TO A 8 GIG DRIVE.. GOTTA LOVE THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS A BUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have methodically tried EVERY single one of the above suggestions, not one of them have worked on my 16gb Sandisk Micro Sd HC on XP Pro computer. Seriously.... I even "removed" the "read only" - only to have it magically reappear. Tried the registry fix, the tape - everything. Nothing works. Have a reader/writer BTW. Completely at a loss. Any other suggestions? (Please, not the tape thing which has been mentioned over and over. Doesn't work for me.)

Thanks....

:fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :non: :non: :non: On the side of the sd there should be a sliding thing that has lock on it slide it back the other way and out it back in :non: :non: :non: :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:

AWESOME answer. Thank you. 20 minutes on the phone with tech help didn't come up with this simple bit of genius. Thanks.

JFL1959

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Unbelievable!

My Sandisk micro card in the adapter works fine, but my PNY adapter kept getting the annoying write protected message. After reading these posts I tried the tape (no luck) but then I tried moving the adapter/disk out little by little and first i moved it out to far, but then just the slightest push back in and I was able to write to it!!

In the age of technology this really is annoying. Since my Sandisk adapter works fine I think I will just buy a new one.

This board is really great!!
All the tech guys I spoke with (the pros) had no idea!!

Thank you for all the responses. After trying EVERYTHING you listed here, the "thick" layer of tape over the SD card worked. No more "write protected" message. THANKS!

Same problem withI just me also. SANDISK microSd card & HP presarioV6000 but i have slided the lock tab to unlock it and to be of my great surprise.... card in the card reader is working properly now. arunkhare@rediffmail.com

i had the same problem wiht my imbedded sd card reader,but found a way around it. instead of opening up your SD Card folder with my computer,put it in the slot and wait for a box to pop up asking you what do you want to do. click view folder. when i did this i was able to put music on it even though it was "write-protected"

Hope it works 4 u!

I experienced the problems describe by others, Messages that the disk was “write protected”, and messages that the file I wanted to copy could not be found. I was attempting to load up an SD card with photos to display on a digital photo frame. Problems started after I had transferred photos onto the SD card that used approx. 10 to 20% of the volume on a 2 Gig card.

I found a piece of information on the web that may explain these problems. Apparently, SD cards have a root directory that keeps track of location of stored files. The root directory is not large enough to keep track of all the files that can be loaded on an SD drive. You must break the files up by placing in folders.

What I did:

1. I used a different card reader/adapter. I may have had that switch problem described above. Some of my problems went away with a different adapter

2. I put the card in my camera and reformatted it. Attempts to reformat on the computer got the “locked disk message.” Simply erasing files may not free up root directory space ( a computer geek would know better)

3. I took one picture with my cameral This set up folders on the disk. One is a Misc file. I don’t know if it is needed for file management. I have never seen anything in this folder, but I have not looked in it on a programming level. Also, I don’t know if this is necessary, but It is one of the things I did. I did not place transferred files in any of these folders.

4. I placed the photos I wanted to transfer into various folders, and transferred entire folders to the SD card. Apparently, folders keep track of individual files and the root directory only needs to keep information on location of the folder.

Ok, I am no computer expert. Someone may be able to clarify this, but using folders seems to be key.

rip_mr3

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
i had the same problem, i had to format the sd card, and now it works, i have windows xp, to do this press start, click on my computer, right click on my sd drive witch is h on my pc, click format and walla it now works.

suggestion if it says write protected. . . try blowing any dust out of the SD slot on your computer. . mine works now!