STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Hi guys, have a problem with this Pentium III I am using.

My processor is P3 800MHz EB that supports a FSB of 133MHz
I'm using some old Winsonic mobo.
I currently have 2 sticks of 256mb 133MHz SD-RAM plugged into the DIMM slots
And I'm running Windows XP Pro.

When I click on Control Panel>System, the RAM is displayed as 256mb.
But when I check with CPU-Z, it detects 2 sticks of RAM in slot #1 and #2.
Task Manager indicates that I only have 256mb of RAM available as well(and my comp slows down much more when I run multiple applications compared to before)

What might be the problem here? I haven't changed any BIOS settings from before.

dagoth_ur

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Thats because CPUZ reads the SPD info from the memory modules, so it indicates 2x256 MB. I have the same issue, its caused by the chipset-you probably use Intel 440 BX chipset, which just cannot use single sided 256MB modules. So, if your modules are 256 MB, both single sided, the chipset simply uses only one half of each of them, which means 2x128 MB. Thats it

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Thats because CPUZ reads the SPD info from the memory modules, so it indicates 2x256 MB. I have the same issue, its caused by the chipset-you probably use Intel 440 BX chipset, which just cannot use single sided 256MB modules. So, if your modules are 256 MB, both single sided, the chipset simply uses only one half of each of them, which means 2x128 MB. Thats it

I know what you mean, but this mobo of mine used to run double and single sided 256MB modules before without issue. Strange thing was I recently reformatted my computer and reinstalled Win XP and now it only detects one of them. Didn't use to be the case back then.

And I using VIA Apollo Pro 133A Chipset. Says here in the manual that "Supports single & double sided DIMMs"

Had to dig out my ancient mobo manual for that =P

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
my only thought is that the motherboard cannot support more than 256mb of ram.

My ancient mobo manual says this mobo can support up to 1.5G of RAM. It has 3 DIMM slots, one died, so it's 1G now...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like the last guy said, try reseating it. They do get "dirty".

If that doesn't work, try testing each module individually. You might have a bad "side".

Your chipset supports high-density RAM, so at least we know it shouldn't be a compatibility issue.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, hey, I missed the dead slot! That can be caused by a bad capacitor, believe it or not. Start checking the board for capacitors that have swollen or brow-spotted tops, and look at the bottoms for oozing.