Question SD Storage Class Controller not working (code 10 error)

Jan 24, 2022
Hello, hope this is the correct home for this question...
I have an Acer Switch 12 S laptop about 5 years old, running Windows 10, Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044. It has a slot for a micro SD card, but it isn't working. Whenever I put a micro SD card into the slot, a device driver line appears with a yellow flag against "SD Storage Class Controller" and no new folder appears in Explorer. I have double checked that the micro SD card itself works fine.

I have tried everything within my limited technical ability to rectify this including: Re-installing Windows fresh, which had no effect, and then after that Uninstalling the driver line and re-installing... in properties it says
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
The I/O device reported an I/O error.
However, it claims that correct driver is installed and refuses to look for any other driver to update or replace it.

All other elements of the laptop seem to work OK.

I have scanned various websites and forums for a fix to this but nothing comes up that I can make to work. Would be very grateful if anyone out there has a (straight forward) suggestion for cracking this problem.
thanks
J.

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
Probably a hardware fault with the reader.

As a last ditch attempt, shine a torch into the SD card slot. You never know something like a staple stuck inside could be causing it short out.

Failing that, just use a USB reader.