Sea Tools Long Generic Test is taking forever

Shane Hawk

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
It has been almost 48 hours running on a 750 gig drive. How long should it take? The "Fix ALL" test failed within an hour and it said I need to run the Long Generic Test. The test is still going and hasn't failed, but I don't know if it just takes a really long time or if it is actually stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Hello Shane Hawk. The long generic test takes a while to complete depending on HDD size but not this long. Go ahead and stop the test. If you need to contact support, you may do so here.

Shane Hawk

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately The drive is past warranty so I think that would be wasting my time.

I have stopped the test, and I am attempting A "Fix All Long" test again. If that doesn't work, I will just erase and overwrite with 0's to see if it is a software related bad sector.

Hi Shane Hawk, sorry to hear that. For futures sake, it is a good idea to have a good back up plan in place. The conventional wisdom by tech experts on backups is known as the 3-2-1 method.

Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example)
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

Best of luck.

Shane Hawk

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
OK thanks for the wisdom. I was able to save pictures, documents and music. Currently, my concern is having to re-download my Steam "second" games library that was on this HDD. For reasons unbeknownst to me, I have no access to that library that is on my HDD (I had to purchase a USB sata dock to use the HDD as windows failed to boot with the HDD internally installed). This all happened a few days ago.

I have a metered connection and 3.5 Mb/s connection so reinstalling the games will take months.

I feel your pain...happened to me once. What error are you getting when trying to get into your games library? It just may be that the drive is corrupted and wont let you access the library.

Shane Hawk

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
It shows them as uninstalled.

Side note, I just tried to overwrite and erase but it failed. next i tried just an erase and it also failed. could the reason be because the HDD is in a usb sata dock?

Shane Hawk

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
The strange thing is that the windows tool for disk error checking says everything is fine. I have read in random older forums that trying to do things such as formatting etc while the drive is using a usb sata dock doesn't work. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but it sounds like conjecture.