Seagate, AMD Show Blazing Fast SATA 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoUsE-WiZ

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Mouse-Wiz, OCZ is connecting a SATA RAID controller to PCIe. That new PCIe card is 4 SSD drives in RAID configuration, with a RAID controller inside. Each individual drive still uses only a regular SATA 3Gbps connection. Therefore, no individual drive needs more than the 3Gbps.[/citation]
I do not know or care much about what the internal connections of the drive are (neither do you afaik... I don't recall seeing anything specific posted). The internal connections are kind of beside the point, though.

Right now OCZ has the Apex drive on the market which is 2 RAID'd SSDs in a 2.5" enclosure with a SATA 3.0Gbps connection on the back. The Apex is not the only example of this approach being used either. There is also talk that the Vertex v2 is/was on the horizon, which would be 2 Vertex drives on RAID 0 in a single enclosure.

The thing is, the Vertex 2, if it comes into existence with the expected numbers, *WOULD* saturate a 3.0Gbps connection.

Therefore, if OCZ is going to continue ramping up the throughput of it's drives, regardless of if the method used is internal RAID or not, needs to move away from 3.0Gbps SATA connections.

Further, if the Z Drive were crammed into a 2.5" package Apex style, SATA III would still not be enough to handle its potential sequential r/w. Hence the move to the PCIe bus.

konchus

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
ugghhhh!!! im planning a new system build and now i gotta wait for a mobo that supoorts this...im into music production and the extra bandwidth will be a major plus...i just got my federal return in the mail today!!!now i gotta hold on to it...maybe its for the good, hopefully by that time the i7 setups are a bit more affordable...i cant wait!!! i hope i dont spend the cash again like last year lol

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Where in the real world do we ever seen anything near these speeds? Most definitely not at home. I am curious. 288MB / Sec would be phenomenally beyond belief. With no special configurations my SAS drives hit around 80 MB / sec .....

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]Master Exon[/nom]We don't need conspiracy theories on the subject. USB3 and SATAIII have been in the works for quite a while. Both have their own separate specializations.[/citation]

Yeah, but wouldn't it be nice to have one standard for both internal and external drives? Why not power internal drives through the motherboard SATA header? We should make E-Sata 2.0 standard and do away with both USB and SATA-6gbps

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS