Seagate Backup Plus

Bcopley

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Dropped my Seagate backup plus. It spins/hums normally, shows up on the device manager, but not disk management. And the first time I tried to use it after I dropped it, it showed up as a different disk and asked to reformat it. The lights on the adaptor piece on the end are not blinking. Could it be possible that the adaptor is damaged?

Solution
Hey Bcopley. If it spins normally your power adapter should be fine. Unfortunately that means that your drive or partitions might be damaged. Your best option for data recovery would be a professional data recovery company. You might have damaged only the casing (the external enclosure) and not the drive, which means that the drive might have be actually OK and you probably would be able to retrieve your data by connecting it as an internal drive with a SATA connection (if that's the case). Although I wouldn't recommend that, because this would probably void the warranty of your external HDD.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD
Hey Bcopley. If it spins normally your power adapter should be fine. Unfortunately that means that your drive or partitions might be damaged. Your best option for data recovery would be a professional data recovery company. You might have damaged only the casing (the external enclosure) and not the drive, which means that the drive might have be actually OK and you probably would be able to retrieve your data by connecting it as an internal drive with a SATA connection (if that's the case). Although I wouldn't recommend that, because this would probably void the warranty of your external HDD.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

Bcopley

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Thank you for your response. I was afraid of that. When I picked it up, the adaptor piece was disconnected so I was hoping I could just replace that piece. My main concern at this point is our family photos and videos. I can buy another hard drive, but I can't replace those. Can you recommend a hard drive/backup to add storage space to my laptop for my photos and videos?

That's very unfortunate indeed. I guess that you could try it with another adapter if you can find one just to be sure, but this is not very likely. You could always try connecting it internally, but again, the safest and most reliable option would be a data recovery company, even though it might be a bit expensive.

Good luck with your photos and videos mate.