Review Seagate BarraCuda 8TB HDD Review: The SMR Slowdown

Apr 1, 2020
It’s tempting to spend a little more cash to buy up to Seagate’s 7200-RPM FireCuda, which is better across the board. It has a faster spindle speed that provides better sequential and random performance.

I would disagree and instead look at the IronWolf (non pro), which is $20 less than the Firecuda, and sadly a drive not included in this test.

Pyrostemplar

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
I've recently bought one of this drives and while I haven't installed it yet on its final (new) system, I copied a few thousand files (800GB or so of data) to it from an old system.
Purchase reasons are simple: cheapest thing per GB by far (anything else was 30%+ more expensive) and good reviews on Amazon. Note: I'm referring to local prices - US may be quite different.

It performed well enough, with no discernable noise - it seems to be a decent drive for its purposes: occasional archival of files (e.g. fotos, videos) where speed (write and read) is of little concern. For all the rest I have a couple of NVMEs.
Are there better drives on the market? - sure, probably almost all. But - in my case - they were all fairly more expensive (e.g. the 6TB Blue was 30% more expensive than the 8TB Barracuda).

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
I actually Own Seagate 8TB SMR Drive, originally was my main backup drive, til it got so slow i was like forget this. And Purchased a WD My Book 8TB External for my Backup Needs

Though i paid Nothing for my Seagate 8TB SMR Drive as won it in a Twitter Contest during CES 2019

Still use it at times for storage of Music, Pictures, Videos Though