Not open for further replies.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013

A NAND buffer.

lsatenstein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
I see WD Green at high prices. My last 1terrabyte drive was Canadian $49.00. Obviously a deal.
However I should not be paying more than $60/terrabyte. for up to 2 terrabytes, and then lower cost per terrabyte for the additional terrabytes. Note the 3TB model at $102.00

douglasfouts

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
I went through 6 Seagate 2tb drives in the past couple of years. Even though I bought brand new in the box disks they would only send refurbished replacements and *every single one of them* died within six months. Had to reinstall my OS multiple times and lost a fair share of files. Seagate used to be *the* brand to trust for reliability but now I wouldn't take one for free, the last two dead drives are still sitting on my shelf still under warranty and I don't even want the replacements.

ElMojoMikeo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
I have had two WD drives fail from the same shipment. I got both replaced with new ones from WD and no more problems with them since. I now put that down to rough treatment in transit. It still seems strange that parked heads still seem to cause some sort of damage in transit. Is there a maximum G force for parked heads?

Sep 10, 2015
Saying it's not entirely Seagate's fault is wrong. It is entirely their fault.
You forgot to mention Seagate had and still has designing flaws on their hardware, going from platters all the way to bad firmware. Their customer service is also a nightmare, they keep sending refurbished drives that will fail in only a few weeks of use. Once you buy a seagate drive, don't expect that much from that company. I will never buy a product from them ever again, whether it is consumer or enterprise level.

Pixel13

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Do Seagate drives still run hot enough to cook on? I've never yet had a HDD fail--and I've never owned any Seagate drives. Coincidence? Doubtful.

I agree, do some sound readings. Of course, the amount of noise a 10TB drive makes is not likely to be representative of the noise produced by the capacities people actually use. Why is a 10TB drive being tested anyway? Sure, a small minority of people use these ultra-high capacity drives for things like bulk video storage, but it's not really representative of what most people use. Even most of the higher-end gaming builds you see listed at this site only include a 1TB hard drive, despite the 2TB capacities only costing a little more. Most people don't feel they need that much storage. Reviewing high capacity drives is fine, but such reviews won't necessarily be all that relevant to the people putting lower capacity drives in their systems. Reviews for drives with capacities in the 1TB to 4TB range would undoubtedly be more relevant. For the most part, outside of some server applications, these high capacity drives are mainly just used for bulk-storage and backups, so their performance isn't as important anyway.

Also, how many platters are these drives? The number of platters tends to impact reliability and noise, along with performance if the density varies between models, so it can be relevant information to know. Checking around, it appears to be a 7-platter drive, but how about the lower capacities? Is the 2TB a 2-platter and the 4TB a 3-platter design? If so, will that affect their performance?

Seagate gained a bad reputation for disk failures over the last few years, but the failures weren't entirely Seagate's fault. For many years large retailers shipped drives in substandard packaging. It was common to wrap a drive with bubble wrap and toss it into an oversized box. A large and vocal web hosting company also removed commodity desktop drives from external enclosures and used them in poorly-designed servers. The company also subjected the drives to workloads they weren't designed for and published failure rate data. Seagate has addressed many of those issues and is working on a full image makeover.
Sure, the treatment of the drives during shipping can potentially affect reliability, and a web hosting company using consumer drives might not be entirely representative of their reliability in a home system, but ultimately that should affect drives from all manufacturers, not just Seagate. If Seagate has more failures than the competition under the same conditions, then that's still arguably their fault.

This is an enterprise-targeted drive. It has vibration sensors and compensation, for heaven's sake. I wouldn't buy one for home use; if I were building out a large storage server with an HDD layer I would need the high-density storage, resistance to the vibration problems caused by many HDDs spinning the the same frame, and guarantee of data recovery (not so big a deal, I'd be using some level of RAID).

As a consumer, the first thing that I see is that this is overpriced for me.

sstanic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2016
It is not an enterprise-targeted drive. I don't base my decisions on what other people buy. Overpriced is relative. Still no noise numbers, such a conspicuous omission..

Status
Not open for further replies.