Seagate Barracuda VS WD Caviar Black

aydee

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2012
Ok, so i'm on a goal to find the best possible 7200 RPM HDD for "Fraps" Which is a screen recording software (For games)
In order to allow Fraps to record at Maximum quality and Resolution I need a Secondary Hard-Drive to use for fraps ONLY. Meaning this drive will be there to continuously write HUGE files to the drive. As fraps will be writing to that drive continuously this will not put strain on the other hard-drive which i have the game on therefor causing less lag.

I need a lot of write speed for fraps. I've been looking on the HDD 2012 Charts and these are the results between which what seemed the two best HDD's to go for.

Read Throughput Average:
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM > 158MB/S (MAX 205.73)
WD Caviar Black 7200RPM > 108MB/S (MAX 140)

Write Throughput Average:
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM > 158MB/S (MAX 205.73)
WD Caviar Black 7200RPM > 108MB/S (MAX 140)

Read Access Time:
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM > 12.62
WD Caviar Black 7200RPM > 11.81

Write Access Time:
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM > 15.65
WD Caviar Black 7200RPM > 5.77

I dont know what would be the best option for Fraps. The Caviar seems to be better with Access time but the Barracuda seems to be slow in Write access time but in read and write averages it is better.

What would be the best drive for fraps? Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks

fudoka711

Distinguished
I just know from experience that WD Caviar Blacks are rock solid when compared with all other mainstream mechanical hard drives. I don't have the numbers, but I feel like the WD caviar black would perform better, especially the longer you own the drive. Seagates have much higher failure rates (example, I went through 4 2TB seagate barracuda's and all had soo many bad sectors and other problems. Bought 1 2TB WD CB and it checked out perfectly. Same type of thing with external 3tb versions).