[SOLVED] seagate data recovery

Feb 18, 2020
after backing up 7.5tb of data to my new 8tb seagate external drive it started clicking and disconnected. still under warranty seagate will do data recovery for free. my question is how far will they go to recover data? will they rebuild the drive, remove the platter? the data is very important so I'd like to know some info on the actual procedure. this is the part that has me concerned- "As a result of the recovery process, the original drive will typically be rendered inoperable ". if they don't do everything possible to recover the data I'll take it to someone that does instead. any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution

What Will Seagate Do?
If we authorize you to return your product to us or an authorized service provider, Seagate will replace your product without charge with a functionally equivalent replacement product. Seagate may replace your product with a product that was previously used, re-certified and tested to meet Seagate specifications. Seagate will pay to ship the replacement product to you. By sending product for replacement, you agree to transfer ownership of the original product to Seagate. Seagate will not return your original product to you. Data recovery, advance replacement option, or other warranty-related offerings or service...
Feb 18, 2020
Where did you read that the seagate warranty also includes data recovery?
Specific link, please.
called support, they checked sn (2 weeks old) and said it was under warranty and recovery would be free. they had me fill out the request form and click on prepaid to zero out the charge. trying to find out if they'll return my data on a new replacement of the same drive then I'll buy another WD and transfer off the seagate. customer service said they were in canada but could hardly understand the support rep. I this video gives me the answer to my original question-
View: https://youtu.be/LC_q7q3n148

USAFRet

Titan

What Will Seagate Do?
If we authorize you to return your product to us or an authorized service provider, Seagate will replace your product without charge with a functionally equivalent replacement product. Seagate may replace your product with a product that was previously used, re-certified and tested to meet Seagate specifications. Seagate will pay to ship the replacement product to you. By sending product for replacement, you agree to transfer ownership of the original product to Seagate. Seagate will not return your original product to you. Data recovery, advance replacement option, or other warranty-related offerings or service plans are not covered under this limited warranty and are not part of the covered replacement process. If you would like data recovery performed on your drive, it is available from Seagate as a separate service for an additional charge. Seagate warrants that replaced products are covered for the greater of either the remainder of the original product warranty or 90 days.
----------------------------------------------

Data recovery seems to be an extra cost.
And "how" they do it would depend on what needs to be done.
In any case, it does not seem that you will not get that exact same drive back.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Now...going back a couple of steps:
You refer to this as "after backing up 7.5tb of data to my new 8tb seagate external drive "

So then the data still resides on the original drive? That IS what a backup is. A second or third copy.
Not the only copy.

USAFRet

Titan
Further:

Business Storage/NAS Products Limited Warranty Statement

What Does This Limited Warranty Not Cover?
"This limited warranty does not cover data loss – back-up the contents of your drive to a separate storage medium on a regular basis. "

"By sending product for replacement, you agree to transfer ownership of the original product to Seagate. Seagate will not return your original product to you. Data recovery, advance replacement option, or other warranty-related offerings or service plans are not covered under this limited warranty and are not part of the covered replacement process. If you would like data recovery performed on your drive, it is available from Seagate as a separate service for an additional charge. "

Feb 18, 2020

What Will Seagate Do?
If we authorize you to return your product to us or an authorized service provider, Seagate will replace your product without charge with a functionally equivalent replacement product. Seagate may replace your product with a product that was previously used, re-certified and tested to meet Seagate specifications. Seagate will pay to ship the replacement product to you. By sending product for replacement, you agree to transfer ownership of the original product to Seagate. Seagate will not return your original product to you. Data recovery, advance replacement option, or other warranty-related offerings or service plans are not covered under this limited warranty and are not part of the covered replacement process. If you would like data recovery performed on your drive, it is available from Seagate as a separate service for an additional charge. Seagate warrants that replaced products are covered for the greater of either the remainder of the original product warranty or 90 days.
----------------------------------------------

Data recovery seems to be an extra cost.
And "how" they do it would depend on what needs to be done.
In any case, it does not seem that you will not get that exact same drive back.
it's under warranty, data recovery is free. as to how they do it check the link above.

USAFRet

Titan
it's under warranty, data recovery is free. as to how they do it check the link above.
Hey..I just linked the actual warranty, which says otherwise.

I'd want to see it in writing, not a promotional video, or a phone call.

1. You don't get your old drive back, platters or otherwise.
  2. If you think a WD is any better, I have a bridge to sell you.
  3. Take this as a wake up to institute your own backup procedures.

Feb 18, 2020
there's one in every crowd

it appears that not only am I getting free data recovery but also another 8tb drive along with the replacement - all free.

Seagate chat today (does this count as 'in writing')

You are now connected to Seagate - Renata 6:12 PM
me: I'd like to know if the recovered data will be sent back on the replacement drive
You - 6:14 PM
No, in this case you will receive a replacement drive, that will be empty and you will receive another drive with your data, so you will get two drives.
Seagate - Renata - 6:15 PM
two 8tb drives?
You - 6:15 PM
The replacement one will be the same model, so it will be an 8 TB, but the one with the data might not be the same model or size.
Seagate - Renata - 6:17 PM
there's 7.2 tb of data to recover
You - 6:18 PM
Okay, so must likely it will be an 8 TB.
Seagate - Renata - 6:20 PM
can you confirm that ther'es no charge for replacement or recovery
You - 6:21 PM
It will be totally free, I see you got a promotion code, we don't even have any credit card information to charge.
Seagate - Renata - Now
thank you
You

regarding HD vs Seagate, I've worked for storage companies for 40 years, Storagetek for 25 and Sun for 15 after they bought STK. the majority of drives that died in our 'fault tolerent' dasd devices were seagate. I've used WD drives at home for 40 years as well with zero problems.

Last edited:
I went through this same thing with a client's Seagate drive about two or three years ago. I can probably dredge up the exact conversation we had about it in the moderator discussions.

They told the client, and then me, the EXACT same thing they are telling you. The drive was sent to Seagate, via courier. That was the last we ever saw of that drive. No data was recovered. The drive was not replaced. The old drive was not sent back.

Seagate claimed that the drive was damaged due to an impact, likely being dropped, which it was not since it failed while installed in a machine it had lived in for about 8 months, never once having been removed or dropped. They claimed the drive was beyond recovery. They claimed it was due to abuse and that it was not covered. Conveniently the drive was "lost" and no replacement drive was sent because the drive was damaged due to user error.

Subsequent phone calls and emails produced no results and eventually they stopped responding altogether. At that point I said that is the last time I BUY any Seagate products, and I have not, since then.

Not long ago, I won the contest here where the prize was a Qnap 9 bay NAS box, a 16TB Seagate hard drive and a 500GB Seagate SSD. The community leaders here and the people THEY spoke to at Seagate indicated that both drives would have the same warranty as any retail purchased drive. I spent weeks, and many tens of emails, corresponding with Seagate on this issue. In the end, I was told no warranty would be given for these products because they were not retail purchased. I told them they could stick their warranty up, well, you know the rest. Further fuel for not doing business with them.

I hope your case works out as you say, based on that conversation, but I seriously have reservations regarding the accuracy and follow through of anything you are told by anybody who works in a public facing position for that company.

Also, it seems very unusual to me that you worked for storage companies for 40 years, but don't know the answer to a very basic question like "how far will the company go to recover data".

Furthermore, the bridge is too expensive. Just forget about the bridge. It's a scam anyhow. :)

Does not take too many stories to damage a company's reputation for service/warranty, does it...? :(

I've seen a Seagate rep in the storage forum occasionally, I'd thought...

This MIGHT be one of those times where they might want to step in and offer assurances of assistance....I'd think!

Feb 18, 2020
I went through this same thing with a client's Seagate drive about two or three years ago. I can probably dredge up the exact conversation we had about it in the moderator discussions.

They told the client, and then me, the EXACT same thing they are telling you. The drive was sent to Seagate, via courier. That was the last we ever saw of that drive. No data was recovered. The drive was not replaced. The old drive was not sent back.

Seagate claimed that the drive was damaged due to an impact, likely being dropped, which it was not since it failed while installed in a machine it had lived in for about 8 months, never once having been removed or dropped. They claimed the drive was beyond recovery. They claimed it was due to abuse and that it was not covered. Conveniently the drive was "lost" and no replacement drive was sent because the drive was damaged due to user error.

Subsequent phone calls and emails produced no results and eventually they stopped responding altogether. At that point I said that is the last time I BUY any Seagate products, and I have not, since then.

Not long ago, I won the contest here where the prize was a Qnap 9 bay NAS box, a 16TB Seagate hard drive and a 500GB Seagate SSD. The community leaders here and the people THEY spoke to at Seagate indicated that both drives would have the same warranty as any retail purchased drive. I spent weeks, and many tens of emails, corresponding with Seagate on this issue. In the end, I was told no warranty would be given for these products because they were not retail purchased. I told them they could stick their warranty up, well, you know the rest. Further fuel for not doing business with them.

I hope your case works out as you say, based on that conversation, but I seriously have reservations regarding the accuracy and follow through of anything you are told by anybody who works in a public facing position for that company.

Also, it seems very unusual to me that you worked for storage companies for 40 years, but don't know the answer to a very basic question like "how far will the company go to recover data".

Furthermore, the bridge is too expensive. Just forget about the bridge. It's a scam anyhow. :)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020
was the clients drive under warranty, how old was it? what was the POH time? mine is 2 weeks old with a POH of 200. did they provide proof of why they said that the drive had been dropped? pictures of exterior damage, an internal 'drop' sensor, description of damage? your answer is the reason I asked "how far will they go"? I wanted to find out if they would go as far as physical repair "will they rebuild the drive, remove the platter ", or as in your case just say it's unrecoverable for some reason and not return the drive. their faq states "if the hard drive has not failed Seagate’s Visual Mechanical Inspection (VMI) criteria or drive has shown evidence of being opened or tampered with." mine is an external drive in pristine condition. following the link to what the criteria is doesn't show anything pertaining to my drive, would you recommend taking detailed photos of the drive before sending?- https://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacements/void-warranty-checklist/#a2

also as per faq-
What happens if the data is unrecoverable?
In some cases your equipment may have suffered significant damage and your data may not be recoverable. If your data is unrecoverable, "you are free to consider other service providers at your own expense." that seems to indicate that if they deem the drive to be physically damaged from their inspection criteria it will be returned so it can be taken elsewhere.

Anymore info you have regarding your situation will be helpful so I can call them prior to sending to determine what will or will not happen. thanks

Last edited:
I know what they "say" and what the warranty "says". That is not in doubt. What is in doubt is that every company does what it says, they don't, I assure you.

Those are not the only two unsatisfactory, to say the least, experiences with Seagate that I've had just in the last couple of years. Also, I don't mean to offer a comparison to any other company, with one being better. I'm sure others have similar or worse experiences with other storage companies as well.

Nor should you think that my own experiences reflect what will happen in your situation. I only offer it so that you are aware that just because the public facing mouthpiece for a company says a thing, even confirming it by written or electronic document, does not mean they will honor what they have said or that they can't find a way to twist or otherwise wiggle their way out of it.

It is no different than what happened recently with another of the moderators here who had a high end ASUS motherboard under warranty. It was sent. Then,.............nothing. For a long time. Despite communication attempts. This was long before the current virus situation, so there was no excuse for it. Then, they sent him a USED replacement with a broken rear integrated I/O shield and despite communications conveying unhappiness with being given a replacement part that had visible damage while the original under warranty part did not, nothing further was done to amend the situation. These companies couldn't care less about you or your hardware, in most cases.

There are a few exceptions, to some degree. EVGA customer service is, to my experience, one of them. They tend to go above and beyond when it comes to making sure their products are well supported and that customers are happy with any transaction whether it's related to an RMA or warranty or not. Others, not so much

As to the drive that was "lost" and not returned or replaced, or fixed, and that they failed to retrieve data from for my client, yes, as I said, it was only 8 months old and was under warranty.

Seagate claimed that the drive was damaged due to an impact, likely being dropped, which it was not since it failed while installed in a machine it had lived in for about 8 months,

The whole "you are free to pursue other service providers at your own expense" is a joke because they know full well that anybody who had data worth enough to warrant doing so would have done so from the start and not sneezed at the 1500 dollar deposit most reputable labs would charge before even arranging courier service to take possession of the drive, much less the probably additional 1500-3000 dollar expense that will be incurred if anything beyond a basic forensic scan and retrieval process is required. Been there, done that, several times, for that same client, who happens to be a very prominent private investigator but whom it took several instances of storage device failure to convince them that purchasing and configuring multiple device and multiple location backups was not just me talking out my dirt hole.

Now they not only have three copies of all important data at any given time, but also an additional drive to plug in in the event any one of them should fail or become problematic, so that there is no significant period of time when three copies don't exist at the same time. Why it wasn't already like that, for years, for somebody with mission critical data like that which somebody's freedom might depend on, IDK, but at least they finally listened.

Really, that is the only "warranty" you need. Even with a warranty, and even if it is honored, you still have to lose the use of that drive for a period of time and hope it is recoverable data. No thanks. I'd rather that the biggest fear was simply the potential for financial loss of the drive in a worst case scenario.

Myself, I have three copies of everything at home as well, including the 8TB of movies and 2TB of music in my collection. Actually, four copies, since I have been making a yearly backup to BD disks so that if there is a catastrophic even that somehow zaps all those drives at once, such as a fire, I won't entirely lose everything since they are stored in a fire proof safe at a different location.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Not to be a mean person or anything. But this is your thread and you asked for help. People here are giving you an advice and yet you are trying to justify why they are incorrect.

If you feel Seagate will honour the warranty and what was said in your chat then just do it. Once it is successful, post your success story here.

popatim

Titan
What evidence were you looking for?
They have your drive and can do anything they want to it and unless you have evidence to the contrary, you will lose that fight. It's your word against theirs and they can toss your drive around all they want and how do you prove it wasn't you?

I had a similar situation with a (then Hitachi made) Toshiba drive, they tried to say I dropped it and broke the Sata connector. Luckily I had taken detailed photos of the drive, It's SMART, & even video'd me packing it into their box, and putting that box into a larger shipping box. I won that fight after 2 months but it went right down to threatening to go to court and they can fly a lawyer up here first class AND still lose if they really wanted to.
I got a full price refund and haven't bought Toshiba since.

CYA - Cover Your booty - A rule to live by.

As for Recovery services, I've never used an external source except for Ontrack and Drive Savers. both offered good but expensive service.

Reactions: tycomps