Question seagate exos E series as desktop drive?

andrepartthree

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Hi guys :) .. as an FYI if anyone's interested newegg has heavily discounted it's "Seagate Exos 7E10 ST8000NM017B 8 TB Hard Drive - Internal - SATA (SATA/600) - Storage System, Video Surveillance System Device Supported - 7200rpm - 5 Year Warranty" drive

https://www.newegg.com/p/1Z4-002P-024F9?Item=1Z4-002P-024F9

Funny story, after ditching direct TV I had a different model seagate Surveillance drive (which oddly enough was recommended as the direct tv storage expansion unit at the time I was using it for direct tv) ... plugged it into my desktop and it's been serving me faithfully for years as a 4 TB drive for file storage :) ... I have a 2 TB drive , Western Digital Red Plus which got shipped to me by amazon by mistake that they generously let me keep for free :) and that's been working great as my other data/file storage drive.

I am so tempted to buy the 8 TB Seagate Exos drive above .. $115 for 8 TB is a great price in my opinion :) .. and just use it as a desktop drive for file storage (I know better than to try running Windows, games and/or any programs off it :), strictly files) ... but then I see threads like this one on reddit saying the drives make unearthly noises and they run very hot

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/gwt2kd/seagate_exos_for_desktop/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/hrmabt/seagate_16tb_exos_x16_st16000nm001g_noise_levels/

but then there's this tom's hardware thread where someone wanted to use the "X" version of an seagate exos drive as a desktop drive and Titan gave it the thumbs up :)

Any thoughts about the "E" version of this drive as opposed to the "X" version for desktop use? I don't mind hearing whirring and clicking noises or what not (in other words I don't demand a "whisper silent" drive :) ) as long as they're not loud enough to say keep my daughter awake at night whose bedroom is next to the PC room :) .. and do they really run as hot as what the one reddit guy said? I have two 140 mm fans mounted in the front of my PC case, a 140 mm fan on the top of my PC case and a 140 mm fan on the bac of my case which is this one (phanteks pro m tempered glass model number PH-ES515PTG_BK ) and my computer room is kept at at 79 degrees temp (yay for air conditioning :) )

https://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro-M-TemperedGlass.html

Thanks so much to anyone who reads this and replies :)

andrepartthree

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Thanks for that :) .. I did look at page 19 which I was smart enough to understand what they're saying :p .. not sure how those measurements would work out in a standard desktop user's PC as far as heat and vibration

Having said that I said "to heck with it" and just ordered one from newegg anyways :) (I was afraid of them selling out at that price) .. I"ll try it out and beg and plead with newegg to let me return it within their 30 day window if it doesn't work out... the newegg listing claims 30 day hassle free returns hopefully this really is the case :)

andrepartthree

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Just thought I'd post an update on this .. someone asked me a question about how this drive was working out which made me realize geez I've been using this drive for about a year now! It's working out great , I use it constantly for file storage and use of said files with no problems. A few things to be aware of

- the drive powers itself down then powers back up which is apparently normal given it's intended use as a server drive (though it works just fine for my purposes as a desktop PC drive too) .. so there is sometimes a wait, maybe 10 to 30 seconds while you see the blue circle "file explorer is thinking" type thing.. given the price I paid for an 8 TB drive brand new I consider it an acceptable sacrifice :)

- the drive will also make a whirring sound when it powers up and you'll see a "status changed from active to idle" or "from idle to active" message pop up on windows which happens less and less often as you use the drive more frequently (I barely see the message at all nowadays).

- seatools might help as far as downloading it and using it to run tests on the drive should you buy one, hopefully it might detect any problems (though from what I've heard from wiser heads than my own, even the manufacturer's programs of the hard drive really aren't too reliable and you won't know if there's a problem until the drive is dead.. so make sure you backup those files :) )