Question Seagate FireCuda 520 Heatsink is Need or Not?

JohnnyR2D2

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Hello everyone,

Hope I can get some insights from my question below and help me decide what to do.

I'm building a new RIG (current is under my signature) with the following:

Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (Bought already)
Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Seagate FireCuda 520 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Seagate FireCuda 520 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ SE Video Card (Bought already)
Cooler Master MasterCase SL600M ATX Mid Tower Case (Bought already)
Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Have it already)

My question is specifically in regards to the Firecudas 520. They don't come with a heatspreader or heatsink included and neither the Mobo has heatsink for M.2 drives. With that said should I worry about getting an aftermarket M.2 heatsink or no need? And if yes since this is a two-sided M.2 is there any specific heatsink I should look? Does anyone have any recommendation for a good heatsink?

Last but not least , the reason I'm choosing the Firecudas are basically two (advertised endurance and warranty from Seagate which I already used more than once and never had any issues with).

Thanks in advance,

JohnnyR2D2

Last edited:

JohnnyR2D2

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
According to Tom's Hardware review the Firecuda 520 doesn't come with a heatsink because Seagate assumed the MOBOS will have one preinstalled which is not the case of my MOBO. I just want to make sure I will not need a heatsink and in case I need it if there any one someone could recommend.

Last edited:

Maxxify

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Run it, check temps. Best way to go since it depends on the system and the workload. Generally you do not need a heatsink. The drive will begin throttling around 70C - if you're bumping up against it, there are plenty of options to cool it, although I prefer to just cool the controller.

Reactions: JohnnyR2D2

JohnnyR2D2

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Run it, check temps. Best way to go since it depends on the system and the workload. Generally you do not need a heatsink. The drive will begin throttling around 70C - if you're bumping up against it, there are plenty of options to cool it, although I prefer to just cool the controller.
Thanks a lot. I'll do that since I can always buy a heatsink later if need it. One last question. My MOBO has the M.2_1 between the CPU and the PCIEX_16 where I normally plug the GPU and the M.2_2 at the bottom rear of the Mobo. Since I'm going to use the 512 GB for the OS with all the usual applications and the 2 TB to install my games do you think it's better to have the 2 TB in the M.2_1 (I read gaming really doesn't have too much read/write) and the 512 TB at the bottom away from the heat of the CPU and GPU? Or just doesn't matter?

Last edited:

Maxxify

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Shouldn't be a huge factor but the lower drive will probably be cooler. Games don't heat up the drive much (usually) so the OS drive will probably run a bit hotter. On the Z390 both sockets will perform the same.

Reactions: JohnnyR2D2

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS