Seagate Reveals HDD With 1 TB Platters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
The increased density will also translate to faster read/write rates. I wouldn't be surprised if 7200 RPM versions were capable of reaching 140~150MB/s peak read rates.

These would be perfect for mass storage drives alongside an SSD in performance machines.

[citation][nom]banthracis[/nom]How exactly are they gonna turn 1tb platters into a 1.5tb drive? You can't use half a platter...[/citation]
A platter has two sides, 0.5 TB per side.

The drive could have two platters and three heads.

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
A platter has two sides, 0.5 TB per side.

The drive could have two platters and three heads.
i think toshiba or another company is using three platter drives. anyway how can you put 3Gs in a 2-platter drive?

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
"ZoomFor those who still can't give up the tried-and-true method of serving up data on a silver platter"
--------------------------------------------------
OK, we're not exactly talking about 3.5" floppy diskettes here! You make it sound like HDD options are some archaic form of technology. Even with the best SSD system drive in one's PC, it makes 100% sense to have 1 or more HDDs as the data drives. I have a 60GB SSD for system, and just over 5TB of HDD drives. Perfect for my many movies, music, documents, and photos. No way I could afford or would even honestly care to put these things on SSD. It would be like building a regular garage on prime real estate...

I am constantly amazed that the srtorage capacity of hard drives. I have a difficult time imaging a home user, gamer, or enthusiast trying to fill a 3TB drive to capacity. Are individuals simply downloading everything in site simply because they can or is there some practical use for such enormous data capacity?

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
"Samsung was actually the first to break the barrier on storage capacity for hard drives using one-terabyte-per-platter areal density"
this drive appears 2 weeks after the Seagate takeover of Samsung HDD.... someone wanna check under the Seagate sticker, see if it's really a Samsung drive hidden under there?

There may be specific applications that require such storage. But, for average Joe that fills it with some home movies and photos and music, the HDD will reach the end-of-life way before it gets even close to full capacity.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Looks like my possible next HDD upgrade; especially since Samsung is going extinct. Let's hope these are reliable and not overly priced.

Where in the article do you see "3Gs in a 2-platter drive"?

The article specifically states "The tech was shown at CeBIT 2011 and will be used to create 2 TB HDDS using only two platters, the company said."

A 3 TB drive would require three platters.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
3TB fills very quickly with HD movies. 120HD movies is what they are quoting for full uncompressed 25GB blue rays. HD pulled off the net is 6-12GB for 1080p and 2-6GB for 720p depending on how they are encoded. I ate up 2TB in less than a month after buying my first HD tv. I have over 1.5TB in backups of pictures and music. I have another 2TB in 480p movies. I have an older PC so all my sata ports are filled and I have one 1TB external usb 2.0 and a 2TB usb 3.0 on a an internal usb 3.0 card. My boot drive is a 60GB Kingston SSD. If I could reduce all this data clutter to simply 2 or 3 internal 3TB drives...SWEET! So to the doubters of who would fill this...catch up with the times!

Well JL, I suspect there are a lot of people who are copying their DVD collections to a home media server so they can stream their movies anywhere, not just run them piecemeal on one TV.

manan

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]ko888[/nom]A platter has two sides, 0.5 TB per side.The drive could have two platters and three heads.[/citation]

One can use 1 TB platter + 500 GB Platter, Cannot be ? Is there any rule that specify both platters must have same size?

G

Whomever did the math that said 1500 Video games must not actually play modern video games.. the aveage PC game now takes up over 10gb+ WoW and Rift take over 40g each.. Crysis2 is right at 12gb.. so I'd sure like to see you fit 1500 on 3tera.. My personal system has 5 teras of storage with 6 1 TB Seagates in reserve for failures.. and it's completely full. HD movies.. content and music take up alot of space in today's digital age.
the average 1080P video file for 30-45 mins of video is over 3gig now.. an .MKS file of any modern bluray is well over 15g each for 1080p and DTS audio.

If you knew how a hard disk drive is constructed and works you wouldn't be asking these questions.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ko888[/nom]A platter has two sides, 0.5 TB per side.The drive could have two platters and three heads.[/citation]
Is the second side of the last platter not properly made? If not, it seems quite the waste.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Its easy to fill up 3TB with movies, TV shows, etc. I have easily 2TB worth of movies with most compressed to around 700MB. I also have another 1.5TB of TV shows. I've had to delete a lot of media because of lack of space in the past. Currently I have about 5TB of storage on my machine and could use some more. I really need to set up a RAID5 box.

Status
Not open for further replies.