Question Searches on Google, but reopens a Bing Tab

thedoomturtle

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
Sorry if this is the area to post this, seemed to be the most appropriate area to me.

I am currently on a Windows 10 desktop. At the moment, anytime I search something on google, it comes up in a google results tab. However, once I click on a link, it opens a new tab and replicates the search in a Bing tab.

I cannot think of anything I have installed recently that could potentially be shady, this just came out of the blue one day. It's been the longest time since I have installed any new extensions on Chrome, or downloaded anything that wasn't download from a platform (such as Steam).

Any ideas on what is happening? Is it just a small bug I can fix or could there be an issue that I need to resolve? (Apologies if this sounds anxious, someone had this problem on a Mac and it was deemed a virus)

thedoomturtle

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
Can you take a screen shot of your Google search results (before clicking a link) and post the image here?
Have you scanned for viruses/mal-ware?

-Wolf sends

Have not scanned for anything as I haven't really paid for a anti-virus. So if anything has snuck in, I wouldn't be surprised and I am kinda silly for not getting one

Edit: Windows Security doesn't seem concerned about anything right now, but would understand if the provided software by Windows wasn't thorough

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unfortunately, I don't have Chrome installed, but in the images you provided, the first result for a Google Search of "Gamer Moment" was the Google Images link. For me, the images are blanked out in the image you posted, but a search on my end gives me the images.

The second image you posted is still a google page, just the images that came as a result of the search.

-Wolf sends

thedoomturtle

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
Unfortunately, I don't have Chrome installed, but in the images you provided, the first result for a Google Search of "Gamer Moment" was the Google Images link. For me, the images are blanked out in the image you posted, but a search on my end gives me the images.

The second image you posted is still a google page, just the images that came as a result of the search.

-Wolf sends

I highlighted the top showing that the result was duplicated. When clicking the "images," it creates a new tab with the same search but in the Bing search engine

Apr 10, 2020
Same thing is happening to me! Malwarebytes keeps popping up "Website blocked due to Trojan" with the same holokkoll.pro domain. Happens when I'm opening certain known/safe websites from my Chrome bookmarks and when clicking on links within websites. I run Norton Safe Web and I'm not getting any warnings from it. Neither MalwareBytes, Spybot or Norton scans indicate a problem or any malware. I contacted MalwareBytes support today and they have opened a ticket for me. What caught my attention in the posts above was the fact that I'm having the same problem with my browser (Chrome) being taken over by Bing, so I'm thinking that somehow the two issues are related! I've removed Bing a couple of times as a search engine in Chrome and it reappeared again today after I had reset Chrome a few days ago. I'll post anything I hear back from MalwareBytes.