[SOLVED] Searching for a suitable keyboard.

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
I play a lot of games (mostly WoW atm), and would like to find a suitable keyboard to my needs. I'm using a cheap Logitech K360, but I've had it for less than 2 months and keys are starting to fail. I'll popped off everything I can to clean it, and changed the batteries...not luck.

Ideally...

I would like a non-mechanical keyboard that has hotkeys like Corsair K95. Not really looking for the RGB component, but the hotkeys to the left are desired.

I initially chose the Logitech because the keys are relatively quiet, "flat," and it was wireless.

So, do any of you out there have a suggestion for a quiet keyboard with the style column of hotkeys like the K95? I don't care if it's mechanical if it's quiet. Though I'm not used to the height of mechanical keys after using boards like the K360. Wireless or not, throw your ideas at me. I couldn't get my character to stop moving backwards this morning and fell off a cliff into lava this morning. LOL

Thanks!

Solution
There are fewer and fewer keyboards with macro keys made these days. The trend is actually towards 60% keyboards more than full size ones among those that are into keyboards. The Logitech is pretty good, I recently got one of their keyboards to try the Romer G switch and it's nice, not really any worse than my keyboards with other switches.
I play a lot of games (mostly WoW atm), and would like to find a suitable keyboard to my needs. I'm using a cheap Logitech K360, but I've had it for less than 2 months and keys are starting to fail. I'll popped off everything I can to clean it, and changed the batteries...not luck.

Ideally...

I would like a non-mechanical keyboard that has hotkeys like Corsair K95. Not really looking for the RGB component, but the hotkeys to the left are desired.

I initially chose the Logitech because the keys are relatively quiet, "flat," and it was wireless.

So, do any of you out there have a suggestion for a quiet keyboard with the style column of hotkeys like the K95? I don't care if it's mechanical if it's quiet. Though I'm not used to the height of mechanical keys after using boards like the K360. Wireless or not, throw your ideas at me. I couldn't get my character to stop moving backwards this morning and fell off a cliff into lava this morning. LOL

Thanks!
Budget? if you want it to last I would recommend a mech keyboard, if you want it quiet red or black switches are linear so only make a sound when you bottom them out and you can make that quieter by installing O rings to dampen the sound. Logitech also do romer G linear and Razer have their own colour.

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
Budget? if you want it to last I would recommend a mech keyboard, if you want it quiet red or black switches are linear so only make a sound when you bottom them out and you can make that quieter by installing O rings to dampen the sound. Logitech also do romer G linear and Razer have their own colour.

The Logitech G910 has caught my eye. I know it's flashy, but it seems to be reviewed well. I guess I'd set my budget max at US$150. My fingers will just have to retrain themselves to the height of mechanical keys. But, that's all I've found s of far. Does that help you zero in on anything?

There are fewer and fewer keyboards with macro keys made these days. The trend is actually towards 60% keyboards more than full size ones among those that are into keyboards. The Logitech is pretty good, I recently got one of their keyboards to try the Romer G switch and it's nice, not really any worse than my keyboards with other switches.

Solution
The Logitech G910 has caught my eye. I know it's flashy, but it seems to be reviewed well. I guess I'd set my budget max at US$150. My fingers will just have to retrain themselves to the height of mechanical keys. But, that's all I've found s of far. Does that help you zero in on anything?
Well for 150 you can buy pretty much any mech keyboard you want aside from the ludicrously priced ones. best advice I can give you is to go to a shop and try the different keyboards see what you like best. I have low profile reds but they're an acquired taste and I don't think they come on a board with macros.

(I have the TKL version of this https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/peripheral/keyboards/sk651/ )

Phosphonothioic

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2012
I could be approaching my binding the wrong way. I used AWSD and right-mouse move/pan.

Q, R, T, F, G, V and 1-5 are typically bound to something. I will sometime put in a SHIFT-# if I feel cramped. F1-F4 are for my various utility mounts. I've played like this for so long, but I just feel limited. I thought having Macro/Function keys would alleviate that by giving me a place to put my mounts or something.

No idea. I just don't feel...optimal.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I have and use asus strix tactic pro. Loads of macro buttons (also macro software, and also hardware macro buttons.. 13 buttons dedicated ), mech keyboard, scroll wheel (for sound volume), iluminated in 4 stages (3 intesities and pulse.. only orange color).

I got it mainly for the dedicated macro keys and good quality of cherry mx swithes (mine are brown flavor.. semi-loud, but not clicky like old ibm's)