Question Searching for pinouts for various 6-pin hubs and fans

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
Wanted 6-pin fan pin outs.
Since addressable LED case fans appeared I've built several PCs for friends and added in lighting effects for other PCs I didn't put together. Sometimes I picked out the fans and sometimes the owner provided the fans. It's been a while since the bling case craze started and now I find myself with several leftover hubs and fans and no pin out data in the limited documentation. I have different models of darkFlash fans and hubs, some from Rosewill, some from Antec, some from Coolmon, and some from upHere. Most are the dreaded 6-pin connector. Some are single speed fans and some have fixed high/medium/low speeds, and some are fully controllable. I've got hubs that only work with their remote; some that work with the remote or a button either added to the case or repurposing the Reset button or with a physical button on the hub itself; and some that attach to a PWM fan connector on the motherboard. Some have the RGB 4-pin 12v headers and some have the 5v RGB/aRGB headers which have connectors depending on the brand of MB.

I know that there are different pin outs with the 6-pin fans. What I don't know are what they are. I'd rather not go through the "plug it in and pray" method of finding what fans work with what hubs.

Parts I've Identified:

darkFlash Aurora DR12 3IN1 PRO (there are two versions of this, original and improved - they use different hubs and warn against using the original fans with the new hub and vice-versa)
darkFlash MR12 3IN1
Rosewill RGBF-S12003
Antec PRIZM 120 ARGB 5+C
upHere EN1207
upHere RGB123

I didn't keep the Coolmon information and it wasn't ordered by me so I can't look it up that way. The fans themselves look like the Rosewill but the pin outs have to be different as the fans didn't work correctly when I plugged one Rosewill in the Coolmon hub.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Wanted 6-pin fan pin outs.

6-pin is proprietary connector and not public info. Best you can get, is contacting fan manufacturer and asking them the pinout. Do note that fan manufacturers have 0 obligation to give you what you ask for (they can label it under trade secret).

All-in-all, best to avoid any proprietary connectors within PC. Makes a life MUCH easier.

Reactions: Paperdoc
If you have one of the controllers, you might be able to see what the pins are for if you tear one down and see if someone was kind enough to silk screen the pin function on the PCB.

Otherwise, even if we did have a pinout, I feel like we'd be playing a guessing game. This is something that would require an O-Scope at least to verify what the pins are doing.

Reactions: Paperdoc