Question Seasonic 650W model question

DESOUL

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I've been sent three different PSU models to pick from from Seasonic, which of these would be of the best quality?

Price is not the issue, i am focusing on buying a higher tier model to ensure that it doesn't blow up in my face one-day >.>

ATX 650W Seasonic Focus 650 Gold (SSR-650FM)
ATX 650W Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold (SSR-650FX)
ATX 650W Seasonic Prime Ultra 650 Platinum (SSR-650PD2)

In terms of price, the platinum is 70$ extra over the other two, is the price worth the platinum tag and are they are high tier quality, or are some of them bad?

ATX 650W Seasonic Prime Ultra 650 Platinum (SSR-650PD2)

I would recommend this PSU model, assuming you can afford to pay 70$ more. Even the Focus GOLD models are pretty good, but in my opinion, getting a Platinum certified PSU would be a much better option. Though, this doesn't matter much when it comes to efficiency. It will only save you a bit less on the electricity bill.

All the above models are of high quality though. ELSE, just pick the cheapest one among these 3 Models.

Last edited:
Seasonic makes some of the best PSUs on the market. All three of those are of at minimum good quality. I personally have a Focus 450 Gold and like it, however, had the Focus Plus been available at 450W then I would have gone with that instead for the full modular and semi-silent mode.

Prime Ultra review: https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/02/12/seasonic-prime-ultra-1000-platinum-power-supply/
Focus Plus review: https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2017/08/21/seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-power-supply/
Focus reviews are difficult to find. The biggest differences between the Focus and Focus Plus are: Focus Plus fully modular vs Semi-modular of Focus. Focus Plus has semi-silent mode vs no semi-silent mode on Focus. Focus Plus has 10 year warrant vs 7 year warranty on the Focus.

Of the three the Prime Ultra is the best, Focus Plus second best, and Focus is in third.

Seasonic also has a Prime Ultra Titanium which is their flagship product. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fn...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650tr

DESOUL

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
I would recommend this PSU model, assuming you can afford to pay 70$ more. Even the Focus GOLD models are pretty good, but in my opinion, getting a Platinum certified PSU would be a much better option.

All the above models are of high quality.
I can't seem to find any reviews where they took appart the 650W Platinum and checked it inside, aside from the other two, i did find reviews where people picked them appart and reviewed all the insides, japanese capacitors, ect and said they are great.

They are all really good PSUs, you cant go wrong with any of them. I would not pay 70 more for the platinum. It will be a little more efficient, but will only save you a few cents per year on energy cost. All will have the 10 year warranty.

For me, I would go with the cheaper of the three. I have the 850watt Focus Gold and it is a great PSU.

DESOUL

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Aye but thats for the 1000W model, there can be slight difference between the 650 and 1000w build quality, also the sodering had a flaw in that review, which could be just an industrial flaw for that specific PSU.

I'm thinking about the 650W Focus plus which is fully modular, as i don't think i'll be needing the platinum tag as those got amazingly smooth reviews as well.

They are all really good PSUs, you cant go wrong with any of them. I would not pay 70 more for the platinum. It will be a little more efficient, but will only save you a few cents per year on energy cost. All will have the 10 year warranty.

For me, I would go with the cheaper of the three. I have the 850watt Focus Gold and it is a great PSU.
Warranties:
Focus - 7 years
Focus Plus - 10 years
Prime Ultra - 12 years

Reactions: feelinfroggy777
Aye but thats for the 1000W model, there can be slight difference between the 650 and 1000w build quality, also the sodering had a flaw in that review, which could be just an industrial flaw for that specific PSU.

I'm thinking about the 650W Focus plus which is fully modular, as i don't think i'll be needing the platinum tag as those got amazingly smooth reviews as well.
Yes it is for the 1000W not the 650W but the build quality of Seasonic is arguably the best in the business. From the scoring page: "Build Quality (20% of the final score) – flawless, except that solder blob, which will earn a half point deduction. It’s a rare occurrence for this company, but I saw it and I have to score it. 9.5."

SUMMARY

As we’ve now come to expect every time a Seasonic enters my lab, Seasonic has walked out a winner once again. They did what they set out to do with the PRIME Ultra Platinum models… keep the performance while getting rid of the in cable capacitors and tweak some other minor functionality areas. While I felt the Titanium models were not enough to warrant specifically going for the Ultra models, you have a little more reason to go Ultra down here at Platinum. But I would still see if I could get the older version for less money unless the in cable capacitors on the old one bother you.

When it comes to PSU reviews jonnyguru.com is the place to go.

DESOUL

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Could you tell us a little about your system?
Aye

Its a GPU'less system on Ryzen 3400G with ASRock 450 Pro4 as base, SSD/HDD/periferals, 16GB 3000MHZ Rams from ADATA, 650W PSU.

That's about it, i'll be adding a GPU at a later time, but for now i just need the bare-bones system on which i can run simple games such as fortnite, wow classic and browser fuctions.