Discussion Seasonic PRIME TX-850 with Rtx 3090. OCP shutdown?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Nothing to worry about.
Hello jonnyguru. Today i will run prime95+ furmark. But i want to ask you. Why that shutdown once happened? Yes now its fine but it was that 12+V noise single issue or just psu was failing? I didnt have to flip switch on the back of psu. Pc started normally when i pressed reset button. Thanks

Hello jonnyguru. Today i will run prime95+ furmark. But i want to ask you. Why that shutdown once happened? Yes now its fine but it was that 12+V noise single issue or just psu was failing? I didnt have to flip switch on the back of psu. Pc started normally when i pressed reset button. Thanks

Or maybe nothing. A PC that shuts down unexpectedly once in seven months of operation is not unusual. It's not like you're using server grade hardware here.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Last question .

Someone said this to me:"
I had a similar situation years ago that only affected one game that turned out to be a dying PSU. System randomly was just turning off but it would happen with only one of the games I was testing with, Dragon's Dogma. I can't remember all the other games I tried but there were at least 10, but I could only reproduce the shutting off with DD. Replaced the PSU and the problem went away.

It started off as rarely, once in a while. But over time (couple months) it grew to happening pretty much any time I would try to play Dragon's Dogma.

RMA'd the PSU and when I replaced it in the PC the problem completely went away.

So for some reason only certain games will sometimes expose a failing PSU
."

So can i have failing psu? But like i said it happened once during 7 months. Thanks.

Last question .

Someone said this to me:"
I had a similar situation years ago that only affected one game that turned out to be a dying PSU. System randomly was just turning off but it would happen with only one of the games I was testing with, Dragon's Dogma. I can't remember all the other games I tried but there were at least 10, but I could only reproduce the shutting off with DD. Replaced the PSU and the problem went away.

It started off as rarely, once in a while. But over time (couple months) it grew to happening pretty much any time I would try to play Dragon's Dogma.

RMA'd the PSU and when I replaced it in the PC the problem completely went away.

So for some reason only certain games will sometimes expose a failing PSU
."

So can i have failing psu? But like i said it happened once during 7 months. Thanks.

Yours shut off once in 7 months. This guy's PSU shuts down every time he starts his game. Totally unrelated.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hello again. Especially hello MR engineer johny guru.Little update. I tested again.

So after this i tested for many hours that games and shutdown not repeated:
1.Control
2.Metro Exodus Enhanced ( in game and main menu load )
3.Crysis 1.3 remastered
4.Quake 2 Rtx
5.Watch Dogs Legion
6.Cyberpunk 2077
7.3dmark all tests
8.Battlefield 5

Should i be worry about that onle fluke week ago , when starting launching Metro Exodus during advertisement part and pc shutdown? Last question and we can close topic. THanks again.

Hello again. Especially hello MR engineer johny guru.Little update. I tested again.

So after this i tested for many hours that games and shutdown not repeated:
1.Control
2.Metro Exodus Enhanced ( in game and main menu load )
3.Crysis 1.3 remastered
4.Quake 2 Rtx
5.Watch Dogs Legion
6.Cyberpunk 2077
7.3dmark all tests
8.Battlefield 5

Should i be worry about that onle fluke week ago , when starting launching Metro Exodus during advertisement part and pc shutdown? Last question and we can close topic. THanks again.
I'd keep worrying about it till the point of insanity.

If I were a betting man I would say that video drivers were likely the issue in your case over the PSU. I have that same exact PSU and an EVGA 3080 with the 500w BIOS and at no point when I was OCing it with air conditioning did it trip OCP that I am aware of. I have however experienced graphics drivers being initialized improperly by windows 10 numerous times causing all kinds of issues.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I ask because found some topics in reddit that some guys had shutdowns in Metro Exodus in loading stage.

."I'm having the exact same problem with Seasonic 750W Titanium + 3090 FE. It's tripping off with a tiny 100Mhz OC (and even with no OC at times), simply loading a Metro Exodus save file. I'm using the 10900K-equivalent Xeon part, which is called W-1290P (identical TDP). "

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/k6axtc/fyi_seasonic_and_rtx_3000_users_w_shutdowns/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/k10d80/rtx_3090_overcurrent_protection/

"On Metro, it ONLY happens when I load into the game (it makes you hold E for a second when the loading finishes). "

The same situations. I had that shutdown during loading part. Maybe related to psu too? But it happened once and nothing more.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Last question.:) Is this possible that i had voltage power fluctuation in house and thats why it shutdown?
But during launching Metro Exodus,coincedence? Little doubtful.
Also laptop and router was not affected.Only pc. Anyway must ask.Thx

Power after AC loss have ON in UEFI. So if it was just losing power, it should be rebooting?

Last edited:

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
So my shutdown was not related to OCP protection? Not from Rtx voltage spike?

Also any clues why that happened? During Metro Exodus in advertisement part ( 30 fps )

Maybe high frequency noise ?

Last edited:

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Last question. So my shutdown was not related to OCP protection? It happened when i launch Metro Exodus in advertisement part ( 30 fps ).Happened once and i cant reproduce. Also I don’t have to flip switch on the back psu. Just pressed power button in case to boot pc.

If i run without issues that apps: 3dmark fire strike, port royal, wild life, time spy, Unigine Heaven
Quake 2 Rtx, Battlefield 5 , Watch Dogs Legion, Cyberpunk 2077,Ghost Recond Wildlands, Crysis 3 remastered, Crysis 1 Remastered, Metro Exodus Enhanced, Cod Vanguard, Control <-- 24 hours without shutdown. Its fine?

So issue with shutdown not repeated all working fine. BUt i wanna ask. Is any chance that this shutdown was caused just in a bug from game or driver issue ?? Thanks

Last question. So my shutdown was not related to OCP protection? It happened when i launch Metro Exodus in advertisement part ( 30 fps ).Happened once and i cant reproduce. Also I don’t have to flip switch on the back psu. Just pressed power button in case to boot pc.

If i run without issues that apps: 3dmark fire strike, port royal, wild life, time spy, Unigine Heaven
Quake 2 Rtx, Battlefield 5 , Watch Dogs Legion, Cyberpunk 2077,Ghost Recond Wildlands, Crysis 3 remastered, Crysis 1 Remastered, Metro Exodus Enhanced, Cod Vanguard, Control <-- 24 hours without shutdown. Its fine?

So issue with shutdown not repeated all working fine. BUt i wanna ask. Is any chance that this shutdown was caused just in a bug from game or driver issue ?? Thanks
Yes, definitely a bug 100%. No need to worry about it.

Reactions: litwicki23

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Apparently, Prime don't latch-off when tripping with Ampere, because it's not exactly OCP. It's just supervisor freaking out due to the 12V v-sense noise and probably lifting the control signal for a fraction of the second which shuts down the whole PSU. But i'm talking out of my ass here, i have no idea what's actually happening. Although, yes, in numerous reports of Prime tripping with RTX3080/3090 the PSU didn't latch off, just shutdown.
So that shutdown was related to 12V sense noise? That fluke. Because it doesnt latch off.?

So that shutdown was related to 12V sense noise? That fluke. Because it doesnt latch off.?

If it was, it would do it every single time you do the same thing that made it shut off the first time.

The thing we KEEP SAYING is that you had it shut down ONCE in seven months. The "Seasonic bug" has the PSU shut down EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. you can reproduce it the first time.

Like I said almost a month ago....

Run Prime95 and Furmark at the same time.

Prime95 (small FFT's on all cores) + Furmark @ 1080p w/2x MSAA. With Furmark in the foreground, press the space bar every two or three seconds to make the donut disappear an reappear. If you can do that for a few minutes, the PSU is probably fine and the shut down was just a fluke.

If >>I<< do this with a Seasonic known to be buggy with Ampere, it shuts down EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Not "once in seven months."

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
If it was, it would do it every single time you do the same thing that made it shut off the first time.

The thing we KEEP SAYING is that you had it shut down ONCE in seven months. The "Seasonic bug" has the PSU shut down EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. you can reproduce it the first time.

Prime95 (small FFT's on all cores) + Furmark @ 1080p w/2x MSAA. With Furmark in the foreground, press the space bar every two or three seconds to make the donut disappear an reappear. If you can do that for a few minutes, the PSU is probably fine and the shut down was just a fluke.

If >>I<< do this with a Seasonic known to be buggy with Ampere, it shuts down EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Not "once in seven months."
oki thank you Johny Guru. Really greatful.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020

are you suggesting that there are Seasonic Prime with the "Seasonic bug", then there are batches of Seasonic Prime without the bug??
Does that mean they fixed the bug at some point?

Reactions: Pextaxmx

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
They hadn't fixed the problem by then. They did fix it a few months ago.
this is the very first definitive statement from a reliable source that the Seasonic Prime Ampere tripping saga is over.

Now we need to find out the exact manufacturing date of the pivot point so people can keep returning their Prime until they get a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts