[SOLVED] Seasonic prime ultra titanium 750W or 850W.

Jun 21, 2019
Hello, I'm assembling a new PC and I heard that the PSU work best when working between 50% and 70% of its capacity, it will go well with the 750w or the 850w Will be better, the Price difference between them is almost nonexistent.

My main uses will be playing videogames at 2k resolution, video editing and Photoshop. I don't plan to overclock for at least 2 years and when I do, it will only be moderate.

This is my configuration:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6Cc7zY

Solution
Hello, I'm assembling a new PC and I heard that the PSU work best when working between 50% and 70% of its capacity, it will go well with the 750w or the 850w Will be better, the Price difference between them is almost nonexistent.

My main uses will be playing videogames at 2k resolution, video editing and Photoshop. I don't plan to overclock for at least 2 years and when I do, it will only be moderate.

750W is fine, I am running a Prime Ultra Ti 750W in the system in my Sig below.
That series of Seasonic power supply has an efficiency curve that peaks right around the 45% load point of the efficiency curve--for both 110VAC and 230VAC.

If we take the PCPartPicker estimate as the final word--which I will, regardless of purported accuracy (or lack thereof), for the sake of simplicity--then your 479W figure would be 45% of the rated full load output of that series of power supply that you intend to support the system.

Right-off, you should be able to see that 45% load on a 1000W PSU is 450W, which is close enough to that 479W to make a 1000W PSU a reasonable selection. (479W/0.45 = 1064W)

You should also research a decent cross-section of Tier-1 PSU manufacturers, and compare their PSU load:efficiency curves, then decide which product gives you the best performance ROI.

Mind you, I'm just giving you the "Engineering Best Practices" method for PSU selection; and, yeah, that's the methodology that I adhere to in my own builds.

Do I spend "too much" money on my builds? Maybe I do, but it's my money, and I prefer to do things once.

Go with what makes you most comfortable, though.

Right-off, you should be able to see that 45% load on a 1000W PSU is 450W, which is close enough to that 479W to make a 1000W PSU a reasonable selection.
Who cares where the efficiency curve peaks? Saving a few cents here and there by reducing power draw by 1% or so when the computer is under maximum load is a bit silly when you are spending far more than that on a power supply offering needlessly high capacity.

And unless the system is solely used for running the most demanding games or other tasks that keep both the graphics card and CPU under full load at all times, then chances are it will typically be drawing far less power, and idling at under 100 watts much of the time. And oftentimes, higher wattage power supplies tend to be less efficient when power draw is low.

Something like a quality 750 watt PSU should be a good fit. If an 850 watt model of similar quality costs about the same, then that might be a good option as well. I certainly wouldn't spend far more for a 1000 watt PSU for a system that won't be drawing more than half that in a worst-case scenario. You most likely won't even see any substantial benefit from going with a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium over a far less expensive Seasonic Focus Plus Gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

750W is fine, I am running a Prime Ultra Ti 750W in the system in my Sig below.

Solution
Jun 21, 2019
Who cares where the efficiency curve peaks? Saving a few cents here and there by reducing power draw by 1% or so when the computer is under maximum load is a bit silly when you are spending far more than that on a power supply offering needlessly high capacity.

And unless the system is solely used for running the most demanding games or other tasks that keep both the graphics card and CPU under full load at all times, then chances are it will typically be drawing far less power, and idling at under 100 watts much of the time. And oftentimes, higher wattage power supplies tend to be less efficient when power draw is low.

Something like a quality 750 watt PSU should be a good fit. If an 850 watt model of similar quality costs about the same, then that might be a good option as well. I certainly wouldn't spend far more for a 1000 watt PSU for a system that won't be drawing more than half that in a worst-case scenario. You most likely won't even see any substantial benefit from going with a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium over a far less expensive Seasonic Focus Plus Gold.
I think I'll be fine with the 750W, Jankerson has a configuration a little stronger tan mine and chose 750W.

Just one question, why does the Corsair hx850i which has a rating of 80 plus platinum, cost more than the Seasonic prime ultra titanium 850W?

I understand than the first can be controlled by iCue, but I don't think I can do more than adjust the fan speed, which the Seasonic compensates with the hybrid mode button.