Not open for further replies.

Anonimo_llopi

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
PC:
PSU: VS650
mobo: asrock 970 extreme 3 r2.0
Ram: 12gb ddr3 kingstone hiperx 800mhz
CPU: fx 8150 (yes I knew about the bottleneck)

So I got this 2nd hand Shappire RX 580 pulse 4gb from a bid on ebay and it keeps crashing my whole computer always in the same way 1 - 5 times per day: The whole screen turns into a random color (all pixels in the screen turn blue, gray, orange are the most common) and if there was any sound playing the output on the sound jack will play a noise for a second and then it just stops.

It normally crashes under load, it doesn't seem to crash idle, I noticed it seems to crash more in menus of games rather than on actual gameplay, but there's still plenty crashes meanwhile playing, I feel like it crashes especially when it's loading stuff (because in menus there's lot of loading), when for example I click into a tab in the game that will load a 3d model the pc would instantly crash the moment I clicked into the tab, this doesn't happen.

The previously gpu I had never had these crashes, a r9 270 windforce, and it consumed more watts

I noticed in radeon config that it was detected as if it was using pci express 2.0 x8 instead of x16, after cleaning the pins in the card it changed to x16 but the next pc startup it changed back on it's own to x8 and then the next one finally stayed on x16, I gotta mention that the lock on the pci express slot is broken so it's not locked, not sure if this could be the issue with these crashes (maybe the increase in speed of the fans moves the card out of the slot??)

There's something weird going on with the fans behaviour too, once or twice it crashed JUST a second after the fans increased speed, and if it crashes and I reset the pc with the small reset button when the log in screen in windows appears (after the screen with 1 color and the circles loading) the fans on the gpu suddenly go full power for a second or two,

I though the problem might have been the pci express energy 2 + 6 pin (psu has 2, I tried both) connector so I used one of these molex to pci express energy adaptors, but no, it didn't change anything

Temp wise at 100% the max temp it reaches is 75ºC (before cleaning it reached 85ºC) with furmark stress test

The only instance where it crashed outside of a game happended yesterday, shortly after closing doom I had firefox open with several tabs and when I clicked one It instantly crashed

I tested the ram, in case it was that, with memtest+ but it was fine

I have installed and uninstalled drivers several times (with DDU and in safe mode) but it didn't help

I even tested the hard drive (because of the crashing when loading part) but apart from that every once in a while it starts clicking (the same click as when the hdd starts) non stop after turning on the computer every 2 seconds, the diagnosis by seatools (by seagate) said it was fine, it has ~60 tb read and ~40 tb written bytes.

Also the CPU is undervolted at 1.225v from stock 1.3v, but as I said before I didn't have these crashes before with the R9 270

Could a reason be that the motherboard it's not updated? it probably isn't but it has version 1.40 iirc

And that's all I can think of, I could test the gpu on my sister's pc, that's like mine but with a fx 6300, same motherboard (no broken pci e lock), worse power supply, 4gb ram

The gpu doesn't fit in the case in the 2nd pci express port btw, hdd are in the way

I don't know what else to do to remove these crashes, HELP PLEASE.

Anonimo_llopi

Prominent
Jul 24, 2017
Ok, I think I've managed to stop the crashes (only took half a month of pointless troubleshooting and worryness ¬¬), it was as simple as updating the VBIOS, THAT fixed it, it was so easy to do, I simply followed this guide: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2288384/upgrade-gpu-bios.html

I've pushed the card to 100% on fur mark in 2 sesions, a 4 hour sesion and a 1 and a half hour sesion with the 4k test, didn't crash in neither, before it crashed before 30 minutes where reached with this tool, I also played some games, the performance is the same except there no random crashes which is GREAT.

If your card is having the same sympomps you should try to upgrade the vbios, it completely fixed the crashes in my case (though this is only 1 day of testing, if it crashes again I will post something here, but it doesn't look like it will)

Status
Not open for further replies.