[SOLVED] Second internet plan

Rya6822

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
So I live in the basement/first floor of my house and the router for the wifi is upstairs and on the opposite side of the house. We use Xfinity internet extenders for wifi but the pod in my room keeps disconnecting and generally is slow and hardly ever works. I want to get my own router in my room so I can be hardwired to it, but I don't know if its possible to have two seperate Xfinity internet plans in one house. (I don't want an extender or anything like that, just to be completely separated with my own plan.)

Solution
I've asked Comcast/XFinity about this a couple years ago and they specifically said no. They do not support multiple modems in a single residence. Something along the lines of having to run a second line into the house was the excuse I got.

I recently moved into a similar situation. The modem/router on the main floor, South end of the house and I'm in the basement on the North end of the house. I tried WiFi and kept disconnecting. The next option would have been a WiFi extended, but I managed to figure out how to run an Ethernet line to my location.

If you have a coaxial output in that room, you may be able to trace how that line is run and run Ethernet along it like I did. Mine was mostly exposed, but it's well worth a look into the...
I assume this is a cable modem system ?

There is no technical limitation. It really is no different than if you live in the house next door. The cables all connect together in the street and share bandwidth.

Some ISP do not allow this. Not sure why they get twice as much money and they likely have plenty of bandwidth.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I've asked Comcast/XFinity about this a couple years ago and they specifically said no. They do not support multiple modems in a single residence. Something along the lines of having to run a second line into the house was the excuse I got.

I recently moved into a similar situation. The modem/router on the main floor, South end of the house and I'm in the basement on the North end of the house. I tried WiFi and kept disconnecting. The next option would have been a WiFi extended, but I managed to figure out how to run an Ethernet line to my location.

If you have a coaxial output in that room, you may be able to trace how that line is run and run Ethernet along it like I did. Mine was mostly exposed, but it's well worth a look into the attic, garage, storage spaces, etc... to see if it's viable.

As a last resort, you can look into options like PowerLine and Media over Coaxial Alliance (MoCA). These will generally (but not always) work, but also have a much higher upfront cost.

150 Ft Cat6 Ethernet
Ethernet Data Plug (50 pk)
Ethernet Crimping Tool
Ethernet Wall Plate
Zip Ties (20 pk)

Total ~$75, a lot of sweat and some elbow grease, but I'm fully wired

-Wolf sends

Solution