Question Second monitor only works in bios, goes black in windows. Then first monitor turns on.

eimantasxd

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
Wasn't sure whether to post in monitors or motherboard section, but this started after I just upgraded to mag msi tomahawk b550 max.

The monitor with the dvi-dvi port works as soon as I enter windows(but doesn't in bios). Both monitors work with both cables, but the issue is swapped and both connected to the gpu, but the one connected with a dvi-displayport cable only works in bios and then as soon as windows turn on it goes black and the other monitor turns on. So it's the weirdest issue I've had.
Had no such problems with my last motherboard. At first I had problems with no display in bios and updated the bios and vbios so that's fixed, I also updated to latest gpu drivers and installed the system and chipset drivers, which also included some gpu drivers

First, only one monitor working in BIOS is perfectly normal. Also, you can't choose which one works in BIOS, it is always GPU/motherboard that decides. That leaves us with only one monitor working in Windows. Does both of them appear in Device Manager?

eimantasxd

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
Then we need more details. Monitor models, what GPU you have, which monitor is connected where and with what kind of cable and which is detected (describe both scenarios you tested).
They're old monitors, 1- PLE2201W, 2-MW221.
Gpu-rx580
They're both detected IF connected with dvi-dvi cable if I try to swap, the second cable is dvi-display port and is not detected if tried on both monitors, but they both work with the same cable in the bios.

Also before I installed the new motherboard I had set to use IGD multi monitors in old mb bios for like a month, since then I had integrated graphics, have no Idea but maybe it corrupted something in windows? But was also using gpu dual monitors for forever before that.

the second cable is dvi-display port and is not detected if tried on both monitors
So this seems to be the source of the problem. The fact that cable works in BIOS is noted, but still it has nothing to do with what Windows can see. You need to check a different cable first.
Also before I installed the new motherboard I had set to use IGD multi monitors in old mb bios for like a month, since then I had integrated graphics, have no Idea but maybe it corrupted something in windows?
Using iGPU and GPU, even at same time, should not pose any problems like that.

eimantasxd

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
So this seems to be the source of the problem. The fact that cable works in BIOS is noted, but still it has nothing to do with what Windows can see. You need to check a different cable first.

Using iGPU and GPU, even at same time, should not pose any problems like that.
Alright, thanks. You think getting another cable might fix this? My hdmi port on my gpu is broken, I can try to get it fixed but that's why I was using the display port one.

It's not detected anywhere.
Show upper part of that screenshot.

I wanted to see this part:

primary-display-win-11.jpg

eimantasxd

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
Why not use one iGPU port then? Connect main monitor to GPU, then secondary one to iGPU. I've been doing that last few years, no problems with that.
Hey, here for an update and it's fixed.
I first got another dvi-displayport cable and it didn't work. I gave it to my friend who resoldered another hdmi port, it's not perfect but as soon as I plugged in the cable the screen turned on, I also tried a third monitor into the display port but it doesn't work. So I'm not rly sure what's the problem, but at least I can now use both monitors.
Thanks for your help all.

Reactions: sonofjesse