kyrios

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015
Hello!

I have chosen the components for a new PC, based on my local store availability... i was looking for AMD stuff but they dont have any... so I went for an Intel build.
Basically, the person that asked me to help with this new PC, wanted it for Autocad and low graphic games like minecraft, League of Legends and left 4 dead 2.

For gaming I decided to go for the integrated graphic UHD 630 so the owner could make an upgrade in the future, without trashing any low price GPU.
For Autocad, I thought 4 cores are enough for University use, since I my self use an i5 7500 for real job without any issue at all.

I noticed that the Pcpartpicker website says that the motherboard Asus Prime H310M-E R2.0 might need a Bios update...but i went into the asus site: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-H310M-E-R2-0/HelpDesk_CPU/ and it says that the i5 9400 is compatible so I'm not entirely sure if it needs it or not.

the max budged for the build is 500usd... but adding the monitor, mouse, etc, increased the final price to 550usd, so there's no room for more expensive stuff.

I hope I provided enough information.
here is the link of all the components I'm using:
PCpartpicker Link

Thanks to anyone who could give me a second opinion!!

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Yes the H310M-E and 9400 are compatible, but not necessarily out of the box. On the same list you've linked to you'll see a "Validated since BIOS" column, which indicates what BIOS is needed on the board for it to run with the corresponding CPU.

For the 9400 you need BIOS 0418. The board is a previous generation board, so it's firmware needs to be updated to take the newer generation CPU. Having said that, you might have the board ship with latest BIOS, but you'd have to check.

Also worth noting you state the 9400 but your PCPP list states 9100. But the same concept above applied to both as they're both 9th Gen.

Also worth noting you've got 2 1x4GB RAM sticks, whereas you're best going for 1 pack of...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Yes the H310M-E and 9400 are compatible, but not necessarily out of the box. On the same list you've linked to you'll see a "Validated since BIOS" column, which indicates what BIOS is needed on the board for it to run with the corresponding CPU.

For the 9400 you need BIOS 0418. The board is a previous generation board, so it's firmware needs to be updated to take the newer generation CPU. Having said that, you might have the board ship with latest BIOS, but you'd have to check.

Also worth noting you state the 9400 but your PCPP list states 9100. But the same concept above applied to both as they're both 9th Gen.

Also worth noting you've got 2 1x4GB RAM sticks, whereas you're best going for 1 pack of 2x4GB as to avoid any potential issues. Mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed compatibility, and buying from two different packs is still mixed. The same pack is the way to "guarantee" they work well with one another.

Also the PSU is arguably not ideal for dedicated GPUs, you are likely better off finding a 2017 CX Corsair model for example.

Solution

kyrios

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015

Also worth noting you've got 2 1x4GB RAM sticks, whereas you're best going for 1 pack of 2x4GB as to avoid any potential issues. Mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed compatibility, and buying from two different packs is still mixed. The same pack is the way to "guarantee" they work well with one another.

Also the PSU is arguably not ideal for dedicated GPUs, you are likely better off finding a 2017 CX Corsair model for example.

Thanks mate! I feel more confident now :)
I went for the i3 9100... I was in a constant loop of bouncing between the i3 or the i5, so I ended up forgetting updating the text in here >_<

Reactions: PC Tailor