Second Thoughts about SLI - MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB PCI-E 3.0 HDMI Twin Frozr OC

theglover

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
Hi,
I have been lurking on here for a while reading posts and reviews and I am now an kinda of wishing I had asked the question sooner but here goes:

I recently built a system up (my first) as follows:

AMD FX8350
ASUS m99a7 evo r2
8gb Corsair ram (Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 2x4gb)
750CX Builder Series Corsair bronze rated PSU
250gb crucial SDD + 1.5tb wd drive

and
1xMSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB PCI-E 3.0 HDMI Twin Frozr OC

I am gaming on a 1080p 40inch TV and like things to look pretty with everything at full

I also had a PS4 and the thinking was this would give me the best of both worlds. However having played through crysis 2 with all the knobs turned to 11 the graphics on the PS4 looked pretty shoddy so i decided to get rid on the PS4 and go for a second MSI GTX770 to help me play Crysis 3 with all the knobs at 11 (reviews seemed to suggest this was a good solution).

I got it all set up. I had a a few heat issues which have been sorted with some extra case fans and now its all running dandy with temps staying below 80c on both cards (one 10 degrees lower than the other) on a fairly lengthy test with OCCT.

I am now thinking that i should have gone for a single 780ti 3gb for the extra graphics memory (i am prone to changing my mind).

Should this be a concern (given that Titanfall requires 3gb for "insane" textures) and was stuttering heavily last night with them enabled? Or is this a momentary glitch that will be fixed once Titanfall has an SLI profile?

So in short - should I cut my losses and sell the the 2 gtx770s and replace them with a 780ti?

Solution
cut losses and sell you are right they are limited by the 2gb VRAM.

It's generally considered not a good idea to SLI 2GB 770's only 4GB ones.

You could just go for lower settings of course.