Adam1998

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
I've been after a companion laptop for my PC for simple work tasks (Writing, research ect) and I've looked at this as it seems great value and the pen support would be good. My only question is that I do a lot of work with the adobe suite and whilst I will always want to use my capable PC, I may occasionally need to use some apps for light editing in rare situations. Could this laptop handle a some use of these apps if they remain light?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1979824

Thanks.

Solution
It could work, if what you need to do is very light. It doesn't have any dedicated graphics, only the UHD Intel graphics, and it is a bit light with only 8GB of RAM, but the CPU is plenty capable enough since most Adobe applications tend to be biased towards single core performance and that 8th gen mobile i3 is fairly good despite the lack of many cores.

I think it would work fine if your expectations are realistic and you are not working with any extensively large or complex projects.
It could work, if what you need to do is very light. It doesn't have any dedicated graphics, only the UHD Intel graphics, and it is a bit light with only 8GB of RAM, but the CPU is plenty capable enough since most Adobe applications tend to be biased towards single core performance and that 8th gen mobile i3 is fairly good despite the lack of many cores.

I think it would work fine if your expectations are realistic and you are not working with any extensively large or complex projects.

Solution

Adam1998

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015

Yeah I aim to keep myself regulated oi=n what I'm editing on the system, I'll probably do some tests to see how far it can go but I really only want a laptop to get away from my desk when I do simple tasks.

Thanks for your help.

I actually have a MUCH older, 2nd Gen Sandy bridge i3 laptop, and I can run a lot of modern applications on there including Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator, and that's using the much older HD graphics 3000, so you should be fine like I said as long as you're not trying to do any advanced 3d stuff.

DSzymborski

Titan
I think this kind of strategy is a good idea. I'm a big fan of using 2-in-1 laptops are my casual use laptop allowing less of a strain on my main laptop. The form factor is terrific and I use it for watching movies at my main desktop, writing, and bringing to a press box, it's much preferable than lugging around my giant Alienware laptop, which is powerful but is giant and heavy and could probably be used by SWAT teams to bust open a locked door.