[SOLVED] Secondary monitor DisplayPort problem

sssimon

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Hey guys,

I just bought a second ASUS PG279Q to complete my office setup about 4 weeks ago. I bought the first one years ago and it's been great.

I was doing some work today and the second monitor started making the windows disconnecting/reconnecting sound and wasn't being picked up as an active monitor anymore; however, it was still showing up under Display Settings as an inactive display.

My troubleshooting involved trying different DisplayPorts on my video card, & switching DisplayPort cables and trying both different ports again. I restarted my computer a few times and updated drivers.

The last thing I tried was switching to HDMI, which got the display working again. This isn't good enough for me though, since I paid a premium to have a 165Hz monitor with Gsync and I'd like to take advantage of those specs.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

ASUS PG279Q x2
i7 8700k
GTX 1070
Win 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
So I "fixed" the displayport issue. I use quotation marks because this is extremely jank. I've tried other people's suggestions such as resetting the OSD, unplugging the monitor, nothing worked.

What ended up working was enabling overclocking in the OSD... It's not even set to the overclocked refresh rate, it's just available in Nvidia control panel. That's it. I tested turning the option off and sure enough, it stopped working until i re-enabled it.

Any thoughts as to what's going on here? This makes no sense. I'm happy it's working at 144hz with gsync though!
What power setting do you have in windows? Try using high performance, turn off monitor sleep settings, and gpu sleep settings. Also monitor your gpu temperature if it is getting too hot it will shut off signal to monitor to cool down. Also what refresh rate is the first monitor, what connection is it using and what gpu do you have?

sssimon

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
I've been using high performance. I don't think the sleep settings would make a difference since the monitor works via HDMI, just not DisplayPort. My GPU is liquid cooled, I've never seen it go over 70C. The problem persists even when my PC is idle, it actually started happening when I was doing some light work on it. The refresh rate of the first monitor is set to 144hz, it's connected via DisplayPort to my GTX 1070. I've had the first PG279Q since Jan 2017 with zero problems.

sssimon

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
So I "fixed" the displayport issue. I use quotation marks because this is extremely jank. I've tried other people's suggestions such as resetting the OSD, unplugging the monitor, nothing worked.

What ended up working was enabling overclocking in the OSD... It's not even set to the overclocked refresh rate, it's just available in Nvidia control panel. That's it. I tested turning the option off and sure enough, it stopped working until i re-enabled it.

Any thoughts as to what's going on here? This makes no sense. I'm happy it's working at 144hz with gsync though!

Solution
Ah yes there are many articles on the famous 144hz 60hz dilemma. Search it. So what refresh rates are you left with then with the two monitors right now? <------ I should have asked that question first. Not quite following you on wha you did. Where in control panel did you use?

sssimon

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
I don't think we're on the same page here haha. I'll try to explain. Both my monitors (before the issue) were 144hz 1440p with gsync via DisplayPort. When the "new" monitor broke, switching to HDMI 60hz no gsync from 144hz DisplayPort worked as a temporary solution, but i wanted it to work at 144hz through DisplayPort.

What "fixed" it was me fiddling with my OSD settings last night and enabling the option to overclock my monitor through Nvidia Control Panel > Change Resolution. Just enabling the option, I didn't actually end up overclocking the monitor. Both displays are back at 144hz 1440p, but one of them has the option to overclock now... No idea why this works, but it's the only thing that brings it back from what I've tried.

Thanks for your help

I don't think we're on the same page here haha. I'll try to explain. Both my monitors (before the issue) were 144hz 1440p with gsync via DisplayPort. When the "new" monitor broke, switching to HDMI 60hz no gsync from 144hz DisplayPort worked as a temporary solution, but i wanted it to work at 144hz through DisplayPort.

What "fixed" it was me fiddling with my OSD settings last night and enabling the option to overclock my monitor through Nvidia Control Panel > Change Resolution. Just enabling the option, I didn't actually end up overclocking the monitor. Both displays are back at 144hz 1440p, but one of them has the option to overclock now... No idea why this works, but it's the only thing that brings it back from what I've tried.

Thanks for your help
ok so If I understand you you changed settings on your monitor then Nvidia control panel.