Question Secondary NVMe Disappeared from BIOS?

Nov 21, 2019
Hey Guys,
I booted up my computer yesterday, and I noticed my D: drive suddenly isn't appearing on both an OS or BIOS level. Checking Device Manager and Disk Management, it's still not there. I just built the rig a month and a half ago, and I've been using the other drive the entire time as storage/render location for my adobe suite. I did nothing new to the computer in the time between it last being visible and not. I DO shut the PSU off after full system shut down (wait 10 seconds) because of the lights on the ROG Strix fill the room up. I'm assuming that doing that somehow interrupted power cycling to the other drive, or some issue similar.
Here's my System Specs:
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming
  • Processor: Intel i9-9900FK @ 5GHZ
  • Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX
  • Memory: GSkills Trident LED 32GB DDR4-3200 Memory
  • Storage: 2x Samsung EVO SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe (2280)
Troubleshooting I've tried:
  • Re-seating the NVMe
  • Power cycle a few times, including full system shut down, shut off PSU, unplug (purge power as well), then booting up and hanging out in the BIOS for 30 minutes
  • Samsung Magician to try and discover the NVMe drive
  • My D: Drive is in Slot 1, and C: is in Slot 2. I just tried swapping the two and my D: drive is recognized in Slot 2, but C: is not recognized in slot 1. So I've narrowed it down to the "M.2_1 slot" of my Mobo

Any help would be SO SO appreciated. Thanks so much guys, I've been trying to fix this for the last 12 hours. The drive is a year old this month, so I'd be surprised if it just randomly truly died.

Lutfij

Titan
With how you power off the system, it's actually a healthy practice. Most people don't realize that a power surge can affect the PSU(and it's components if it's failing) and lead to vampiric power draw from the PSU.

Can you check and see which BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard? Also Check and see which version of Windows 10 you're on. If the SSD's are recognized on the same slot but not the other then the issue is not the SSD but the slot itself.

Regardless if you have BIOS updates pending, work your way up gradually to the latest.

Nov 21, 2019
With how you power off the system, it's actually a healthy practice. Most people don't realize that a power surge can affect the PSU(and it's components if it's failing) and lead to vampiric power draw from the PSU.

Can you check and see which BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard? Also Check and see which version of Windows 10 you're on. If the SSD's are recognized on the same slot but not the other then the issue is not the SSD but the slot itself.

Regardless if you have BIOS updates pending, work your way up gradually to the latest.

well hey, that's at least good to know hahah - I'll take it! At least I know I didn't somehow fry it throug hthat.

Bios Version: 0905, 4/10/2019
Windows Verison: 10.0.18362 Build 18362

Does it matter if i have "Secure Boot State" Off?

Since it's an ASUS, I was going to just use the "EZ Flash Update" in the BIOS where it pulls it from the Internet

Last edited: