Secure Erase and Windows 7 Installation

Erinn

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I would like to restore my SSD back to factory fresh condition by using a secure erase. I will have a brand new Windows 7 64 bit installation disc (like the one you would order from newegg that shows the retail packaging) to use as the install. I do not have a good understanding of the ins and outs of partitions, formatting, etc. etc. I was hoping someone could walk me through how I can wipe this SSD clean with a secure erase and put a fresh copy of Windows on it.

Thanks

Solution

Yes. All copies of Win7 are the same. The product key is the determining factor as to 1) you get it activated and 2) which version you get.

Just follow that guide I sent and you'll have no problems.
No need to format a ssd. Just do the secure erase and it should be ready for windows install.

EDIT:
There are plenty of free apps that will erase and/or optimize a ssd. Whatever manufacturer your ssd is? There usually are tools at the ssd's web site to download too.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There's really no need to do a "secure" erase on the SSD. It does not store data like HDDs do. Are you simply re-deploying the SSD in your own PC? If so, just install over the old data on it. Or use the clean command:
Boot from your Windows 7 installation media. (If you have a UEFI option to boot, do not select it, select the non-UEFI option for your boot media.)
After booting you see the Install Windows 7 screen, press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt.
At the command prompt, type Diskpart, press Enter.
Type List Disk, press Enter.
Type Select Disk # (where # is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter.
Type Clean, press Enter.
Type Exit, press Enter.
Close the Command Prompt window.
Click the "Next" button.
Click the "Install now" button.
Accept the terms and click the "Next" button.
Choose "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)."
Select the partition and click "Drive options (advanced)"
Click "New" and then click the "Apply" button. Two partitions should appear. Click the bottom partition.
Click the "OK" button and then click the "Next" button.
From then on follow the on screen instructions till you get to the desktop.

(Plagiarized from: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds)

Erinn

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
The SSD is going to stay in my PC. The reason I am doing the secure erase is because I have had a world of trouble getting SP1 installed on this. I have tried everything from anit-malware to rootkit. Everytime I go to do the update I get some type of error message. It is sometimes a different error code each time. The PC does not have much on it that cannot be easily put onto a flash drive. Plus, its never been cleaned out so I figure it would make things a little more smooth.

It is a PNY solid state drive but I checked their website and did not find a utility for secure erase.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Erinn

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
About unplugging the HDD, I do not have one. The SSD is all there is in the PC. I assume you are referring to any HDD I have as additional storage correct?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Oh, I thought the HDD was the original drive that you had Win installed on.
But yes, don't have any other drive connected when installing Win to the SSD so that it doesn't accidently install the boot sector to the wrong drive. Although that shouldn't happen with a USB drive.

So you're saying that the drivers were installed to the peripheral storage device? How is it connected, USB?

Erinn

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
I am open to any suggestions you may have to go about this problem by itself. I just figure that if I do the secure erase and put a brand new windows disc in the cd drive then there can't be too much that can go wrong.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There is no need to spend money on another copy of Win7. All you are buying is the product key, and you already have that from the first copy. You can download the .ISO file and burn the same disk you get in the Newegg package.
But if you already bought it, I'd return it for refund unopened.

Erinn

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Truthfully, all of this may be too in depth for me. As long as I can simply secure erase the SSD and then simply put the new disc in and install it then all is well. Thanks for the help.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yes. All copies of Win7 are the same. The product key is the determining factor as to 1) you get it activated and 2) which version you get.

Just follow that guide I sent and you'll have no problems.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yeah, just noticed that myself, yesterday. Shame they had to go do that. One can still get a copy from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery
...but they want your product key first.