Sep 7, 2021
I turned on secureboot in my bios settings about a week and a half ago and as soon as I restarted my screen went black and my pc will no longer turn on I’ve reset the cmos battery and jumper and still nothing I’m trying to do a bios update to fix it but I don’t have a q flash button on my gigabyte motherboard.

System specs:
Gigabyte B365M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB AERO ITX OC Video Card
G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory

Colif

Win 11 Master
this is how you should have done it

Steps to enable (all AMD-based Gigabyte mobos) Secure Boot. Make sure fTPM is enabled. Make sure CSM is disabled. In Secure Boot, select custom under Secure Boot Mode, Select Restore Factory Keys, Say YES to reset without saving.

When BIOS restarts, access BIOS and change Secure Boot Mode back to Standard and then Yes to restart without save.
did you do all those steps? the black screen might be result of missing a step?

Also, is valorant on this PC? Its anti cheat needs secure boot and maybe if its on PC at startup and secure boot not set up right, it will do this. We have a number of people with problems right now, some with Gigabyte boards.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Also, try connecting a second display to see if it is active. When I tested this on a Win 11 beta rig, the primary screen was blacked out (as many reported), but my secondary display was not. That allowed me to remove Valorant to restore the primary display into use.

Sep 7, 2021
this is how you should have done it

did you do all those steps? the black screen might be result of missing a step?

Also, is valorant on this PC? Its anti cheat needs secure boot and maybe if its on PC at startup and secure boot not set up right, it will do this. We have a number of people with problems right now, some with Gigabyte boards.
Yeah VALORANT is the reason I turned it on in the first place lol
Also, try connecting a second display to see if it is active. When I tested this on a Win 11 beta rig, the primary screen was blacked out (as many reported), but my secondary display was not. That allowed me to remove Valorant to restore the primary display into use.
So if I can get on a secondary display removing VALORANT will bring my main display back into use?

Sep 7, 2021
Nope used two displays and still nothing

Jun 29, 2021
another giga mobo, another secure boot incident, another brick.

stop spamming "you should've done this way". it simply shouldn't brick. simple. they must program cautionary stop signs into bios for such events. you cant simply push 2v into modern day cpus and fry them. mobo has built in features that does not allow high voltages for cpus gpus and whatnot

why is it any different that a simple feature such as enabling secureboot can easily break a mobo. its just gigabyte. gigabyte must answer for this. .

OP: unless you find yourself a CPU with iGPU (ryzen 2200g and stuff) you're out of luck. send mobo to giga, request new mobo from them. this is all their fault.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

stop spamming "you should've done this way". it simply shouldn't brick. simple. they must program cautionary stop signs into bios for such events. you cant simply push 2v into modern day cpus and fry them. mobo has built in features that does not allow high voltages for cpus gpus and whatnot

why is it any different that a simple feature such as enabling secureboot can easily break a mobo. its just gigabyte. gigabyte must answer for this. .

OP: unless you find yourself a CPU with iGPU (ryzen 2200g and stuff) you're out of luck. send mobo to giga, request new mobo from them. this is all their fault.
In at least my case, I was able to recover from the Valorant induced issue while both TPM and secure boot were enabled, as previously noted in this thread (and others).

In addition, I am sitting in my home office, surrounded by 5 Gigabyte motherboard based systems (4 AMD and 1 Intel) and was able to enable these features with zero issues.

There have definitely been some reported issues, but that doesn't apply to most users. Just something to keep in mind.

Sep 7, 2021

So would buying a new motherboard fix this, or are the cpu and gpu fried? It’s an old board and I was thinking of upgrading soon anyway

Jun 29, 2021
In at least my case, I was able to recover from the Valorant induced issue while both TPM and secure boot were enabled, as previously noted in this thread (and others).

In addition, I am sitting in my home office, surrounded by 5 Gigabyte motherboard based systems (4 AMD and 1 Intel) and was able to enable these features with zero issues.

There have definitely been some reported issues, but that doesn't apply to most users. Just something to keep in mind.
most users do not even bother with this stuff. those who bother get their gigabyte mobos bricked at an ALARMING rate. %90 of pc users maybe possibly never ever got in their bios even for enabling xmp. there are millions of pc users out there that do not care about this stuff.

there are at least 150 cases here in tom's hardware alone for gigabyte secure boot enable bricks. thats an alarming number, no matter what you call it. im pretty sure other people with other brands of mobos also do the "mistakes" you keep telling about but those mobos do not brick like gigabyte mobos do, because they're probably built with precautions against such mistakes, like the standard over voltage protection that can be found in every board imaginable.

i think you dont understand me. i m aware some users do not get this error.

my problem with the situation is: you dont see this kind of weird bricking behaviour when enabling secure boot with other brands. it seems exclusive to gigabyte. im not sa ying all giga boards get bricked either. but it is what it is

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
most users do not even bother with this stuff. those who bother get their gigabyte mobos bricked at an ALARMING rate. %90 of pc users maybe possibly never ever got in their bios even for enabling xmp. there are millions of pc users out there that do not care about this stuff.

there are at least 150 cases here in tom's hardware alone for gigabyte secure boot enable bricks. thats an alarming number, no matter what you call it. im pretty sure other people with other brands of mobos also do the "mistakes" you keep telling about but those mobos do not brick like gigabyte mobos do, because they're probably built with precautions against such mistakes, like the standard over voltage protection that can be found in every board imaginable.

i think you dont understand me. i m aware some users do not get this error.

my problem with the situation is: you dont see this kind of weird bricking behaviour when enabling secure boot with other brands. it seems exclusive to gigabyte. im not sa ying all giga boards get bricked either. but it is what it is
Understood and agreed (to a point). Gigabyte certainly could make setup and recovery easier.