SecureMac Issues Trojan Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Its just going to get worse for the apple community because the bunch of them believe they are immune to virus, and spyware. Its a shame really. I mean me myself use Pc, and Mac, and work in the computer field. I Obviously know to actively use a real time scanning program.

I i consistently try to tell people on what it seems like a daily basis,
that something big will come and you might want to try and be prepared for it. All i recieve back is ignorant rants about, thats PC related problems, im on a mac, and I dont have to worry. Sheesh.

People just dont get that the only reason you dont here about Mac viruses, and spyware is because the number of users to Windows is minscule, but thats changing every so gradually, and it will be bad
for a lot of people.

I feel so bad because Apple really doesnt actively push the software to
prevent hard enough.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
"Users must download and open the Trojan in order for their PC to be infected."

At least it's user friendly and they don't have to compile it from source code.

Just exactly how is this a greater threat then any other user-installable application? Is adware acceptable because of it's profit? Is game DRM spyware acceptable because of it's license?

G

wow that's funny. I just saw the Mac advertisement that says they don't have viruses. I'll stick with my PC because they have better tools at detecting and removing the viruses. Kudos to Neog2.

mr roboto

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Yes the virus warning from a virus software manufacturer. Always a trustworthy source. Sorry if I'm a bit of a cynic but these guy's are the only ones making a big deal out of this. They act like it's the first ever Mac trojan or worm.

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Another thing compounding the problem, but still due to the smaller install base, is the fact that there are relatively fewer "enthusiast"/"white" hackers probing Mac. These people could offer a great deal of help in exposing security issues. And let's all (at least the Mac community) hope that Apple doesn't do anything stupid to turn these kind of people away from helping.

As for the malwares, people just falls short on what to expect. A malware is a malware, regardless of whether it can borrow itself in the system or just stay alive for the duration of the session/use of the system or even just an application (ie, browser). A system may prevent a compromised browser from making changes to the system (or even to itself), but a malware designed to steal credentials doesn't have to burrow itself. All it takes is a compromised legitimate site and any unlucky visitor visiting that site then going thru his emails and online banks is a dead duck; unless ofcourse he/she closes first his/her browser before opening it again to browse his emails and online bank. This kind of scenario may be remote, but considering the (growing) number of Mac users, a lot of people would still be affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS