Security Warning on Desktop

I recently encountered a security warning due to a trojan on my computer. I
removed the offensive code using a spyware removal utility, however, the
background screen still has the warning. I attempted to right-click on the
background to change it, but there was no option on the menu to do so. I
also tried opening a picture I wanted to put on the desktop, selected the
option to use it as the desktop background, and nothing happened.

Has anyone ever seen this problem before? Is there a security setting to
lock the background screen that I can change?

Please advise.

Thanks

Malke

L A Leopold wrote:

> I recently encountered a security warning due to a trojan on my
> computer. I removed the offensive code using a spyware removal
> utility, however, the
> background screen still has the warning. I attempted to right-click
> on the
> background to change it, but there was no option on the menu to do so.
> I also tried opening a picture I wanted to put on the desktop,
> selected the option to use it as the desktop background, and nothing
> happened.
>
> Has anyone ever seen this problem before? Is there a security setting
> to lock the background screen that I can change?

This is a common issue lately. Here's how to get rid of the desktop
warning, which is just a desktop picture file. Go to the Display applet
in Control Panel and look on the Desktop tab. Click on Customize
Desktop, and then click on the Web tab. You will see that there are
checkmarks next to "My Current Home Page" and probably "Lock Desktop
Items". Uncheck these. By highlighting the "My Current Home Page" and
clicking on the Properties button, you will be able to determine the
name of the file that is the message. It might be called something like
"security.html" or the like.

Click Apply and OK out when you've made your changes. Then you want to
find the *.html malware file and delete it.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Unfortunately, there is no customize option on my display properties menu...
I tried creating another user on the computer and that user works fine...
HELP!

"Malke" wrote:

> L A Leopold wrote:
>
> > I recently encountered a security warning due to a trojan on my
> > computer. I removed the offensive code using a spyware removal
> > utility, however, the
> > background screen still has the warning. I attempted to right-click
> > on the
> > background to change it, but there was no option on the menu to do so.
> > I also tried opening a picture I wanted to put on the desktop,
> > selected the option to use it as the desktop background, and nothing
> > happened.
> >
> > Has anyone ever seen this problem before? Is there a security setting
> > to lock the background screen that I can change?
> >

> This is a common issue lately. Here's how to get rid of the desktop
> warning, which is just a desktop picture file. Go to the Display applet
> in Control Panel and look on the Desktop tab. Click on Customize
> Desktop, and then click on the Web tab. You will see that there are
> checkmarks next to "My Current Home Page" and probably "Lock Desktop
> Items". Uncheck these. By highlighting the "My Current Home Page" and
> clicking on the Properties button, you will be able to determine the
> name of the file that is the message. It might be called something like
> "security.html" or the like.
>
> Click Apply and OK out when you've made your changes. Then you want to
> find the *.html malware file and delete it.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com