JimmyJam

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

Can others on a network see my computer's name? I know some have suggested
that I not try to change the computername, etc., but I would like to know
if others see that name. Don't want to be embarassed at work!

The basic answer is Yes, they can see your computer name on the network. Be
aware that changing these things on your system can possible mess up your
connection to the network (and get your IT folks very upset). Check with IT
first! You can change the name by going to Start...Control
Panel...System...Computer Name tab

"JimmyJam" wrote:

> Can others on a network see my computer's name? I know some have suggested
> that I not try to change the computername, etc., but I would like to know
> if others see that name. Don't want to be embarassed at work!

JimmyJam

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

I know of those problems, which is why i have been looking for a program
that will switch my settings as I move from one network to another. So
far, Net Switcher, MultiNetwork Manager, and Mobile Net Switch seem the
major ones, but none change workgroups and computer names accurately. One
(I forget which) promises to, but doesn't. But they do allow switching the
default printers, MAC addresses (spoofing it, I guess -- not that I need
that feature), and the usual DHCP, and such. Any other program(s) that
handle everything? I am will to pay shareware prices for such a program.

=?Utf-8?B?dXNhc21h?= <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in