See the Chrome Laptop Get Destroyed Repeatedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
This gives you the flexibility to access your data from almost anywhere that has an internet connection
I wouldn't call that a flexibility..Without a cloud, I can access my data anywhere i do or do nothave internet..

great video though

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Yeah, There is a major flaw in "The Cloud" that has already been addressed, fixed, and has been around forever... FLASH DRIVES!
What happens when your computer gets destroyed? Well, If you were intelligent you'd had at least most of your precious data on some sort of removable device, or already saved somewhere else. You never need internet, and you don't have to worry about losing it. "The Cloud?" No internet... No data.

Revolutionary, but not at all practical.

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I hope they're locking people's personal docs and correspondence behind something more than a password. That guy's personal files would be equally available to anyone who guesses/knows his password. I hope he has a PC at home for security.

anonymous_user

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]I wouldn't call that a flexibility..Without a cloud, I can access my data anywhere i do or do nothave internet..great video though[/citation]
However instead of an internet connection you would then need whatever storage medium you put your data on (usb drive, CD/DVD, hard disk, etc). And if you leave it somewhere then you cannot access it elsewhere unless you have another copy.

samdsox

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]I wouldn't call that a flexibility..Without a cloud, I can access my data anywhere i do or do nothave internet..great video though[/citation]

good point, but now adays how many places or people don't have internet?(or internet close bye) however i would agree with you this is better for the city and won't allow you to do anything while traveling without an expensive mobile hotspot.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]c0oim4n[/nom]Well, If you were intelligent you'd had at least most of your precious data on some sort of removable device, or already saved somewhere else.[/citation]

Better hope you don't forget to take it with you ;) Flash drives don't solve any of the problems that Careless Computing solves (or doesn't solve) if you leave data control and privacy out of the picture.

Personally I'd prefer not to have access to my data from everywhere. I don't want to be expected to be working 24/7.

samdsox

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hold on i just went on the website. aparently it has built in 3g. guess they are smart. but it also said verizon, not as smart. guess you don't want to be using 3g unless you want to pay a fortune and your back to sqaure one of not being able to access your data.

Always connected
Integrated Wi-Fi for home and work, and 3G for all the places in between. 100MB of free 3G data every month* on the Verizon Wireless network. Affordable data plans with no commitment required

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Who wants to see a computer destroyed if it's not a mac. Can't get enough of people smashing macs! These things might actually be useful.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Why can't the just send all these things to me instead? I could upload me using it on youtube for years. Bore you to death, instead of giving Chinese workers heart attacks... ;-)

KingArcher

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Cloud computing is a form of control. Your data is available for big brother to check anytime they want.
Unlike an offline pc.
I think cloud based computing is good only to a certain extend.
Hope to God that it doesn't become the mainstream THING.

ioa94

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Great idea...except now all your information is in the hands of Google. They could access everything if they wanted to.

G

How is this any different than what is currently possible through Google Docs? This video makes the "OS" look like nothing more than a glorified browser.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]refsius[/nom]This video makes the "OS" look like nothing more than a glorified browser.[/citation]
But the OS **IS** nothing more than a glorified browser in this case.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Sorry, but I don't think portable internet infrastructure is good enough yet for something like this to succeed on the go. Also, what about internet outages, they're annoying enough already (especially when I'm at school and trying to get some work done), but with this you wouldn't get anything done. Back to the old standard of pen and paper.
I prefer physical drives, and just protect yourself with daily backups. Windows has it built in so you don't even think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.