Seek Error Rate sometimes causes the HDD not to work

Catishcat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2015
I have a relatively new (bought in March 2015) 1Tb WD Blue. I never had any problems with it until now - Windows can randomly fail to read/write/anything at all from it. CrystalDiskInfo shows no signs of wear in any critical category, but whenever it stops working, Seek Error Rate seems to be the only one going "bad". When that happens, everything on the computer crashes (stops responding and can't be killed by task manager/process hacker/cmd) just by mentioning any of the partitions on the drive. If it happens before Windows actually boots up, welp, it just doesn't progress no matter how long I leave it for.

https://imgur.com/a/q8NRxvu] (only have pictures when it's normal right now)

Can I do anything to prevent this from happening, because right now it seems to be a physical issue. I already backed everything up, so that's not really a problem.

You might try reseating the cable, or even an alternate cable. CRC errors are not necessarily generated within the drive platters or the drive itself...this can occur in data transfer to/from the drive anywhere in the signal chain. Having a source of noise near the cable can also be a problem, and a better quality cable can reduce susceptibility to noise. Sometimes an inadequate power supply can also introduce noise.