Seeking a project for Raspberry PI

Andyme177

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
I know you can get Raspberry PI's rather cheap. I currently know nothing about them and I want to learn.
A friend uses them for his 3D printers (toys) I don't know if I am looking for anything that advanced but if the cost is right I might be. Do any of you have any suggestions for starter projects for a build it and learn to use it sort of science project idea. I'm thinking about using it for a project for 7nth graders for the coming school year.

Ralston18

Titan
My immediate thought:

Google "Raspberry PI Projects".

There are many, many projects out there.

One link you should find:

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/top-raspberry-pi-projects-2019

However, the key is for you to identify and select projects suitable for your 7th grade students.

Suggest that you add more information to your post regarding the "level" of students, budget limitations, other available resources, etc..

There may be other ideas and suggestions offered thereafter.

Andyme177

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
Budget is $250 right now may increase when the school gets involved. I was thinking a wireless sensor that activates a video intercom setup figure the camera could be wifi or maybe bluetooth.

For 7th-grade project, $250 is way too high budget (unless you want to be way too involved). Fun projects would be self-driving car (using parts from broken RC toy), with sonar, bump switches, etc - plan about $50 for parts over the RPi. The software can be written in Python, or even Scratch.

Andyme177

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
my kids know how to use scratch but I would like to learn about Python for this project I first have to learn to do it myself then teach 6 kids.

7th graders. Without knowing the class or group in particular could be capable of doing just about anything. or nothing. I knew both when I was in 7th grade. Perhaps you should ask them to look into projects that they think would be cool and submit proposals over the summer. So that when they come back you can present them something they "want" to do.

My personal suggestion would be something like a weather station. It requires integration of several sensors. Plus these a coding element in the database creation and reading each of the sensors. You could expand on it with a solar tracker to include a mechanical and robotic element.

With rPi there are so many tutorials and information out there it's something you could do as a semester long project driven entirely by the students. Let them pick something do research, set a budget, (buy parts), build the thing, divide labor, etc etc. Similar to a college level project but because there is so much support out there, a 7th grader could figure it out.

Andyme177

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
7th graders. Without knowing the class or group in particular could be capable of doing just about anything. or nothing. I knew both when I was in 7th grade. Perhaps you should ask them to look into projects that they think would be cool and submit proposals over the summer. So that when they come back you can present them something they "want" to do.

My personal suggestion would be something like a weather station. It requires integration of several sensors. Plus these a coding element in the database creation and reading each of the sensors. You could expand on it with a solar tracker to include a mechanical and robotic element.

With rPi there are so many tutorials and information out there it's something you could do as a semester long project driven entirely by the students. Let them pick something do research, set a budget, (buy parts), build the thing, divide labor, etc etc. Similar to a college level project but because there is so much support out there, a 7th grader could figure it out.

I agree some kids are very capable and some just don't get it. This project will be for 10 kids who are attending my sons microschool. It is a student driven course nearly 100% online with just a guide to help them when they need it. I know most of the kids are very smart and have done the lego robot projects in the lower grades in regular school.