Question Seeking advice about what motherboard I should get.

Major_Tom_Coming_Home

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Hi, After 10 years, I have decided to retire my i5 4690 rig . I will need a new motherboard, but due to my ignorance I am having trouble picking one. My budget is around $230 and my case is a mid tower. The replacement CPU will be an i7 14700K. I want to get a good quality full size ATX motherboard that has all of the latest technology and will capable of being overclocked without melting. I want to have 3 or more NVM M.2 slots and 4 or more SATA slots. My GPU will be an RTX 4060 Ti 16. I am looking at the "MSI PRO Z790-A MAX WiFi ProSeries Motherboard" would this be a good choice, or is there something better? Thanks!

Major_Tom_Coming_Home

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
and my case is a mid tower.
Please mention the make and model of your case.

As for your build, I would advise you to avoid Intel as they're going through some...issues;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVdmK1UGzGs

Switch to AMD's AM5 platform instead of Intel, IMHO.
Thanks for replying. My case is a Fractal Design North. Probably strange looking to most people but I love the look and it will match my furniture :cool:

I knew Intel was having issues but assumed the motherboard manufacturers would release bios updates to fix them. I don't know much about AMD CPUs but I am open minded about them. From comparing CPUs on https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/ I thought they were generally not as fast as Intel but I am not an expert on the subject. It looks like the Ryzen 9 7900X3D would be the I7 14700 equivalent in my price range. As for an AMD motherboard would a MSI X670E be a good choice? I don't need anything "cool" and "edgy" looking since my case doesn't have glass.

Thanks!

awake283

Great
Jun 23, 2024
I have the same case as you and it's been the easiest and most pleasant build of my life. They thought of everything!

You should target maybe a B650(E) AM5 motherboard for a solid option thats not super expensive. If you want something a bit better, look at B670E or even a X760E. All motherboard manufacturers are pretty much the same in my opinion, yes even Asus. The platform is whats more important than the manufacturer to me. If I absolutely had to pick one though, I'd go with Asrock.

I know you want to use a 14700 but if you haven't purchased it already, highly consider changing your opinion. Intel is not having a fun time right now. If you already have the CPU, look at B760 (cheaper) or Z790 (expensive) boards. I'd maybe specifically look at the ASRock B760 Pro, fits your budget perfectly.

Make sure you update your bios IMMEDIATELY and invest in a decent cooler. Double check you keep all receipts, proof of purchase, etc. Register the CPU with Intel on their website.