[SOLVED] Seeking advice on external 1TB SSD for desktop PC

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hi all,

I'm now searching for an external 1TB SSD solely for data storage, such as files, photos, movies etc., to be used on desktop PCs.

I expected to be advised on following technical points;
  1. Whether the connection is ONE USB connector for both power and signal/data? No additional power supply is needed?
  2. The USB port of my desktop PCs are not of same standard, some old PC not with the latest USB port. Can it works on all my desktop PCs? Although the transfer speed of my old PCs may be slower?

I'm now looking at;
Samsung T5 Portable SSD review - Specifications
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/samsung-t5-portable-ssd-review,2.html

Comment and other suggestions would be appreciated. I have no pre-set budget.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Solution
Portable SSDs, like that model, run data and power over the same USB interface.
Transfer speeds will vary depending on the USB type used, but in theory any USB should work so long as its adapted to the SSD (So Type C to Type C, Type A to C, and so on)
The Sandisk extreme portable SSD is also another option, depending on what you like.

Have you considered why you specifically want an external SSD? If its just for storage you may not need the speeds unless you access/write the data often.
Portable SSDs, like that model, run data and power over the same USB interface.
Transfer speeds will vary depending on the USB type used, but in theory any USB should work so long as its adapted to the SSD (So Type C to Type C, Type A to C, and so on)
The Sandisk extreme portable SSD is also another option, depending on what you like.

Have you considered why you specifically want an external SSD? If its just for storage you may not need the speeds unless you access/write the data often.

Solution

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Why external?
Do you need to carry it around? connect to different computers?
For convenience.

The software installed differs on PCs. I need to run different PCs daily. I have storage HDD on each PC. It is not convenient sharing data without turning on both PCs

Edit
===
The external SSD is similar to a central storage unit.

Regards

Last edited:
Hope I'm not too late but, you may wanna look at tier list: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1092033-ssd-tier-list/
Then you can convert those internal ssds into external ones by getting a SSD enclosure, which will have USB to interface with your computer for portability.
There's also an external ssd tier list too there (scrolling down).

Note that some SSD manufacturers though may have re-used certain components from their older products that had issues. One such is from Kingston's A400 SSD 240GB model, I read the amazon 1 star review from it. That might explain why it landed in Tier D of the tier list.

Tier list isn't really something that's "set in stone" but it quickly gives you an overview/idea of what's been tried and tested. Again, consider the product reviews too before buying.

satimis_06

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks for your advice.

I already doing it in this way, internal SSD, HDD mounted on an external enclosure. I think it is inconvenient moving it from desk to desk therefore I thought of external SSD.

Now I solve my problem in following way;
The external enclosure will be stationery on a desk
Use an extension USB cable to connect it to PC on another desk

Now it works with a recently purchased 3 meters extension USB cable.

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards

TRENDING THREADS