[SOLVED] Seeking Expert Interpretation Of Reallocated Sectors Count

dbkh

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
My almost new 1TB Seagate drive shows this via CrystalDiskInfo for Reallocated Sector Count:
Current and Worst of 97, Threshold of 10, and Raw Value of 255.
Is 97 just the health score? Is this 97 value always a % (out of 100) for Reallocated Sector Count?
Why are some SMART health score values 200?
Is the Raw Value of 255 the actual number of sectors that have been remapped?
What does a Threshold of 10 mean?
Should this drive be returned?
Thanks

Solution
SMART is not standardised. The manufacturers can implement their SMART attributes any way they wish. There are a few accepted conventions, though.

Thresholds are set by the manufacturer. If you assume that the data are linear, then the drive has lost 3 points after reallocating 255 sectors. In order to lose 90 points, the drive would need to reallocate 7650 sectors (= 255 / 3 x 90) .

Actually, it could be that the attribute has just recently dropped to 97, or is just about to drop to 96.

So this gives a range of 5737 (= 255 / 4 x 90) to 7650.

Why do SMART tools report attributes differently?

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3093
Your drive has remapped 255 sectors. The normalised value of 97 is indeed a health score for that attribute. The threshold of 10 represents the health score below which the drive is deemed to have failed (for warranty purposes).

Personally I would not trust that drive with my data.

Reactions: dbkh

dbkh

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Thanks for the reply...
So the 97 value would have to drop to 10 at some point to be deemed failed?
Is that 10 value for threshold set by the manufacturer?
Any way to figure how many sectors have to be remapped before 95 goes to 10?
Thanks

SMART is not standardised. The manufacturers can implement their SMART attributes any way they wish. There are a few accepted conventions, though.

Thresholds are set by the manufacturer. If you assume that the data are linear, then the drive has lost 3 points after reallocating 255 sectors. In order to lose 90 points, the drive would need to reallocate 7650 sectors (= 255 / 3 x 90) .

Actually, it could be that the attribute has just recently dropped to 97, or is just about to drop to 96.

So this gives a range of 5737 (= 255 / 4 x 90) to 7650.

Why do SMART tools report attributes differently?

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3093

Reactions: dbkh
Solution
Is "Reallocated Sectors Count" currently shaded in Yellow/Caution as displayed in CrystalDIskInfo?

If so, and the drive is still under warranty, I'd not trust it. (Not that any drive should really be 'trusted' anyway, as any one drive should be viewed as 'just hoping to lose all you have on it at the drop of an unsolicited hat!'