[SOLVED] Seemingly Random Black Screen Windows 10

Jul 6, 2021
Out of the blue my pc started to randomly black screen when doing just about any task. Playing a game seems to make the pc crash in only about one to five minutes and when browsing the interent it takes some time longer. When the pc black screens the fans continue spinning and lights inside the PC remain on but the screen is just black until the pc is manually restarted.

I have tried;
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling video drivers
  • Using the win + ctrl + shift + b shortcut to reset video drivers when the crash occurs (nothing happens)
  • Turning off 'Link State Power Management' in the power plan settings
  • Checked the power supply has an adequate power rating for the components in the pc
  • Reinstalled monitor drivers
I suspect the issue is related to the graphics card but I am all out of ideas to reslove the issue.

SPECS:
CPU - Ryzen 3 2200g
GPU - GTX 1050ti
RAM - 8gb
PSU - EVGA 500B
MOBO - Unknown
(I am unsure on the specifics of some of the parts as the PC is second hand)

Solution
On your pc look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times of the crashes.

How old is that EVGA 500 watt PSU? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, even bit-mining?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure, by sight and feel, that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melting, components browned or blackened, wires kinked or pinched, loose screws, cracks, etc.. Any physical damage.

Ralston18

Titan
On your pc look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times of the crashes.

How old is that EVGA 500 watt PSU? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, even bit-mining?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure, by sight and feel, that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melting, components browned or blackened, wires kinked or pinched, loose screws, cracks, etc.. Any physical damage.

Solution