Self Terminating Process

mythicalcrusaders

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Im going to present a pretty simple concept here, Why cant computers self terminate failed process?

For example: you open up steam it takes forever to load then a pop up box appears and says " this program isn't responding" your given 2 options. 'end task' or 'wait'.

Now most people including myself click 'end now' cuz the process has failed. might as well re- launch the program.

But why do i have to tell the OS to end a process that is failing. like why cant the OS realize that this process is taking to long to respond close it and re open it all with out me having to tell it to.
seems like it would make the OS feel more smooth and it would keep a bunch of failed process from lingering around and hanging up the OS.

is there something like this in place or could someone explain why this isnt a good idea?

Solution
Because if you are in middle of work and window terminate the program without your consent, you would have swearing "?+*&%*:;>!@#" in front your computer lost all your work. Atleast the program could recover itself if you click wait

traxxmy

Distinguished
BANNED
Dec 1, 2015
Because if you are in middle of work and window terminate the program without your consent, you would have swearing "?+*&%*:;>!@#" in front your computer lost all your work. Atleast the program could recover itself if you click wait

Solution