Selling PC and Wanting to keep windows 7 and wipe my info

RaisingTheBarHD

Honorable
May 8, 2013
So i am going to be selling my Pc to one of my friends and when i bought the pc it already had windows 7 on it, i want to keep windows 7 and just remove all my data and user profiles what do i do?

moulderhere

Distinguished
Do you want him/her to have the ability to run data recovery software and get the data back? If no, then you need to DBAN the hard drive and re-install windows, etc.

If no.
Then create an Admin Account. Log into that newly created admin account. Go into the Documents and settings and/or users dir and delete your user account folder.

RaisingTheBarHD

Honorable
May 8, 2013

i just want to be able to get rid of all my info and applications and basically a factory restore like the day when i bought it

moulderhere

Distinguished
Do you have any sort of factory restore discs by chance?

What you're really asking is to sell them the pc as if they bought it new. Realistically speaking, you might as well re-load windows, etc to ensure ALL your info is removed.

RaisingTheBarHD

Honorable
May 8, 2013

how would i go by doing that, i think it came with a SP1 of Windows 7

If your PC came with Windows preinstalled - that Windows license is part of the PC, and "legally" you have no right to keep that license only. If it was a brand-name PC (Dell/HP/etc), there is a good chance you won't be able to activate that license on another PC at all.

The safest solution would be to copy your data, format the hard drive, and reinstall Windwos.