Question Semi-modular PSU GPU Q?

wkduffy

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2012
Sorry for this basic question: I have a 1000w Bronze Rosewill PSU that has been running strong for a few years powering an EVGA 1080 Ti.

The PSU is a semi-modular; it has modular 6+2 pin VGA cables (PCI-E) but also 6+2 pin VGA FIXED (attached) cables coming out of the unit.

I just swapped the 1080 out for a EVGA 2080 Ti. I thought it would be an easy plug-and-play, but I am missing a modular cable--I only have one modular 6+2 pin cable atm, and the 2080 Ti requires two of them. I live in a very rural area, no computer stores anywhere (only a locally run repair place).

But since there are also fixed (non-modular) 6+2 pin PCI-E cables also coming out of the PSU, can I mix and match them? Is it acceptable for me to use the one modular PCI-E connector I have and also one of the fixed PCI-E connectors to power the GPU? They are both 6+2 pin.

I've powered it on and it is working, but I don't know enough about PSUs to know if hooking up a GPU this way, and I don't want t put it under load yet.

So, is using one of the MODULAR PCI-E cables and one of the FIXED PCI-E cables kosher? Another option I have: The Rosewill PSU actually has TWO 6+2 fixed PCI-E cables coming out of the unit and I could use both of those if that would be better and just skip the modular cable totally. It's just, at the moment, I don't have a second modular 6+2 pin cable to match the one I have...sorry if this is confusing....

Last edited:

wkduffy

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2012
Thank you Captain Discombobulate! Now can I hit you up with another Q? I am missing a modular 6+2 pin PCI-E cable from my EVGA Supernova PSU. BUT I have a 6+2 pin PCI-E cable from a Rosewill PSU. I see all the articles online saying not to mix and match modular cables this way from different PSUs under threat of death. BUT I called a local dude here who runs a computer repair place and he laughed and said "Copper is copper. All those artcles online are overthinking it. Just use the cable. It will work as long as the key fits."

So: Whose advice do I follow here?

wkduffy

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2012
OK. Thanks. Yes I did a bad thing and asked two separate Q's here. The first was just about the Rosewill PSU and mixing modular and fixed PCI-E cables all coming out of the same PSU (the Rosewill), which I assumed would be fine and it seems to be OK. BUT my followup Q was about using one of those modular cables from the Rosewill in the EVGA PSU, and the internets told me NO, but the local computer store guy said do it, it will be fine. So I didn't know who to listen to. I'm swapping out a 2080 TI for a 3080 Ti card, and all I have are the 2 modular 6+2 pin cables I used wit the 2080, and I'm missing the third one needed for the 3080. I was wondering about adding in the Rosewil cable, but I'll play it safe and order a compatible EVGA cable. The sad thing here is the local computer store dude who INSISTED it would be fine for me to mix and match the modular cables! In fact, he kind of said I was stupid for even asking.

USAFRet

Titan
The sad thing here is the local computer store dude who INSISTED it would be fine for me to mix and match the modular cables! In fact, he kind of said I was stupid for even asking.
Mix/match between brands of PSU?

Absolutely clueless person.
That WILL fry components.

Like these hard drives:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
and to answer your other question, the fixed pcie cable with the 2 6+2 connections is fine to power the card with. no need for the modular cable unless you just want to use them both.

the cable is designed to give the power to both 6+2's so no issue there. only a truly junk bottom of the barrel thing pretending to be a psu would give 2 connections and not enough to power them both