Sennheiser PX100, HD201, HD202

OxxY

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2004
I tried both px100 and hd 202 before, and i prefer 202 since 202 have greater amount of bass....IMO 202 is not the best comfortable headphone but its ok...as long is not hurting u :D
try hd 212... i own it and i love it....it is almost similar to 202 but it has bass enhancement....if you like hip hop or techno music,take 212

halcyon

Splendid
Comfort? Huh, you don't know discomfort until you've worn some Grado's for a spell. ...but their sound is food for the soul...which is why they're popular. When they get uncomfortable (after about 30 minutes) I douse myself in the HD595's and drift into bliss.

ReDNeX

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I tried both px100 and hd 202 before, and i prefer 202 since 202 have greater amount of bass....IMO 202 is not the best comfortable headphone but its ok...as long is not hurting u :D
try hd 212... i own it and i love it....it is almost similar to 202 but it has bass enhancement....if you like hip hop or techno music,take 212

What about HD201 ? :?: :(

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
the problem is that unless you spend like 300$ whatever you listen to still sound like headphones. you can tell the sound is comming out a 40mm driver as opposed to a 8inch woofer. not that the sound is bad (i got hte 280pros) very clear sound, just you know it isnt a pair of floorstanders

halcyon

Splendid
Even good headphones, sound like headphones. Nice for personal listening, like I'm doing now @ 5:30AM, but it's not the same as listening to nice speakers. However, if you have crossfeed or some surround technique (i.e., CMSS3D) it helps take the soundstage out of the middle of your head (for those that don't like that). I've loved headphones for a looooooong time because there were times in my life where they were my only option.

Really, I'd suggest holding off until you have a bit more of a budget and going with the Senn HD595's ($~190 via Amazon). If you do it right, you won't want or need to do it again, IMO.

ReDNeX

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
I want to buy a $29 headphone, NOT a $299 headphone ! :(
Can you help me: HD201 or HD205 or ... ? :(
(Hard Camparison :( )

OxxY

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2004

I will go with 205..judge from the freq range...the 205 should have better bass...and the impedance also bigger 32 ohm vs 24 ohm.
205 have 1 cable only running from the headset cup...some people find it more comfortable,while 201 still use 2 cable ..

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I have PX100's and they're awesome. Best $45 I've spent. Course now its like $30. They're good for an open-ear set - it doesn't cover your ears so I can hear people behind me at work.

If you want a closed set, then go w/ another set.

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey Halcyon, when you talk about $ 190.00 for your SEnn HD595.... you mean in US funds right?
I'm from Ottawa Canada so I have to ask.
I was looking at the Senns on the net and I'm thinking of scoring a set. Overall, what IS the sound REALLY like with those? And are they comfortable? How about gaming? Surround stuff like that?

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
190 would be in U.S $

if you're looking for headphones, visit www.head-fi.com

the people there are hardcore into headphones and many spend 1000's on their setups

if you havent spent more than 50$ on headphoens than the 595s will blow you away.

also if you wanted you could prob find a used pair cheap on that site.

the 595 has a reputation as being a great unamped headphone. if you dont have an amp but want to spend decent money on phones, the 595 would be great.

as far as gaming and surround sound stuff, i would guess they are as good as the soundcard you use.

halcyon

Splendid
The Senn HD595's are easy to recommend. They offer an upfront and smooth sound. The $190 is US (Amazon.Com). Their circum-aural style is highly comfortable, as most mid-upper level Senns. I've not used them for surround sound (besides CMSS3D & EAX with the X-Fi, but that doesn't really count, eh). IMO, they cover all music types well offering nice bass and complete, but not abrasive, treble response. Mid-range is very smooth, again, these are an upfront sounding can. ...easily driven out of an iPod or soundcard directly but sound great amped. I can listen to these all day and all night and NEVER grow tired of the sound or feel that they're uncomfortable.

In comparison, the GRADO's sound AWESOME (yet cost significantly more) and grow uncomfortable in about an hour. The offer great bass but possess a sharp treble response that some may find fatiguing. I'd not recommend the GRADO's as one's only set of cans. They're more like desert with the Senn's being more like a fine meal.

...again, the 595's are very easy to recommend.

halcyon

Splendid
finallt I bought HD205. My opinion is:

Please don't buy HD205 !!! :(
HD202 is 10x better than HD205 !

I'm sorry about that, its no joy to make a purchase you regret, and I've plenty experience with that! Hopefully you can return them. What is it that you dislike on the 205's?