[SOLVED] Sensible GPU upgrade for i5 4690k

Nov 23, 2020
Hello,

I'm in need of advice regarding GPU upgrade for my 2014 PC setup with i5 4690k. I've read similar threads about this topic and I have more questions than answers so I'd like to create a new one. Information about my main goals and current pc specification listed below.

Main goal:
  • Able to "smoothly" play current generation games in 1440p -> have 27 inch 60 hz monitor
  • Smoothly = fairly stable ~60 fps in low settings (maybe mid if its achievable)
PC:
  • CPU: i5 4690k (without OC)
  • MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
  • RAM: HyperX DDR3 16 GB 1866MHz CL10
  • GPU: R9 280X GAMING 3GB DDR5
  • PSU: Corsair Builder CX 600 W
I'm aware that it might be difficult to overcome the fact that this setup is simply too old to get reasonable performence. Despite this I'd like to do one last small upgrade before I invest more in top-end new PC. I'm not interested in changing CPU for i7 4790k because it's too expensive in addition to the GPU cost. I've considered following GPUs (any other recommendations are welcome):
  • GTX 1050 Ti
  • GTX 1650
  • GTX 1650 SUPER
  • RX 570
  • RX 580
  • RX 5500 XT

Solution
1660Super isn't going to work that well. OP has 1440p monitor. I'd suggest something closer to a 2070Super or 3060/ti depending on time frame.

Op, here's the problem you'll run into with today's games. Your cpu. The cpu is responsible for fps, every last one of them. It pre-renders every frame before those frames get sent to the gpu. The cpu is responsible for objects, placement, movement, interaction etc. The gpu is responsible for graphics details and resolution.

So if you can only get 30fps out of that 4 thread cpu, detail settings of low or ultra aren't going to change that. (Other than the few cpu bound settings like viewing distance, which affects object placement etc).

1440p has @ 1.7x as many pixels to populate as 1080p, so...
I
Hello,

I'm in need of advice regarding GPU upgrade for my 2014 PC setup with i5 4690k. I've read similar threads about this topic and I have more questions than answers so I'd like to create a new one. Information about my main goals and current pc specification listed below.

Main goal:
  • Able to "smoothly" play current generation games in 1440p -> have 27 inch 60 hz monitor
  • Smoothly = fairly stable ~60 fps in low settings (maybe mid if its achievable)
PC:
I'm aware that it might be difficult to overcome the fact that this setup is simply too old to get reasonable performence. Despite this I'd like to do one last small upgrade before I invest more in top-end new PC. I'm not interested in changing CPU for i7 4790k because it's too expensive in addition to the GPU cost. I've considered following GPUs (any other recommendations are welcome):
  • GTX 1050 Ti
  • GTX 1650
  • GTX 1650 SUPER
  • RX 570
  • RX 580
  • RX 5500 XT
I Suggestion you to use GTX 1660 super...
That is really good in price to performance.. and your CPU will likely do well with that card.. and it doesn't require much power either..

You can use GTX 1070 if you can get one second hand..

Both GTX 1660super and GTX 1070 will do good with your current Processor...
And you will be able to Play most of the available Games at 1440p not at maxed out but yeah at good settings...

This is best tight budget card I can say..

Reactions: gervant
Hello,

Main goal:
PC:
  • GTX 1050 Ti
  • GTX 1650
  • GTX 1650 SUPER
  • RX 570
  • RX 580
  • RX 5500 XT
Before upgrading any major component of any system, such as a GPU, you must first consider the power supply. You have an older Corsair model that was prone to failures and it should be replaced before you start upgrading your computer.

Nov 23, 2020
I Suggestion you to use GTX 1660 super...

Is there any "go-to" GTX 1660 Super model? I've read about MSI Ventus/Gaming X and Gigabyte/Asus ROG being good but as it always details make a difference.

Before upgrading any major component of any system, such as a GPU, you must first consider the power supply. You have an older Corsair model that was prone to failures and it should be replaced before you start upgrading your computer.

Could you recommend any reasonable PSU for GPUs mentioned above? Will 600W be enough?

Is there any "go-to" GTX 1660 Super model? I've read about MSI Ventus/Gaming X and Gigabyte/Asus ROG being good but as it always details make a difference.

Could you recommend any reasonable PSU for GPUs mentioned above? Will 600W be enough?
You mentioned a future upgrade to a newer high end build. Perhaps now is the time to get a power supply for that so you don't have to upgrade it again in a few short years. That's up to you.

For your current build a good quality 550 watt model is enough. The best low budget model is the Corsair CX550. It has been updated to fix the design flaws of the older model you have and has a good reputation now.

Nov 23, 2020
You mentioned a future upgrade to a newer high end build. Perhaps now is the time to get a power supply for that so you don't have to upgrade it again in a few short years. That's up to you.

Good point. I don't know what future will bring but If I had to guess I would go for spec with Ryzen 7 5800x and RTX 3070. Considering this would something like Seasonic Focus GX 650W be optimal?

Good point. I don't know what future will bring but If I had to guess I would go for spec with Ryzen 7 5800x and RTX 3070. Considering this would something like Seasonic Focus GX 650W be optimal?
A high quality 650 watt model should be fine, but, there are a few cases where high transient load (power spikes) have caused issues, so a 750 watt model would not really be overkill. The Focus GX are good, as are the Corsair RMx and Super Flower Leadex III series.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
1660Super isn't going to work that well. OP has 1440p monitor. I'd suggest something closer to a 2070Super or 3060/ti depending on time frame.

Op, here's the problem you'll run into with today's games. Your cpu. The cpu is responsible for fps, every last one of them. It pre-renders every frame before those frames get sent to the gpu. The cpu is responsible for objects, placement, movement, interaction etc. The gpu is responsible for graphics details and resolution.

So if you can only get 30fps out of that 4 thread cpu, detail settings of low or ultra aren't going to change that. (Other than the few cpu bound settings like viewing distance, which affects object placement etc).

1440p has @ 1.7x as many pixels to populate as 1080p, so is somewhat brutal on a gpu. With such a relatively weak cpu, you'll need a gpu which will not lower fps because of details or resolution or your fps will be in the toilet.

Solution
Nov 23, 2020
With such a relatively weak cpu, you'll need a gpu which will not lower fps because of details or resolution or your fps will be in the toilet.
IMO go with the graphics card and power supply that his your future build in mind. No point buying it over again later.

Summing up the discussion it seems that there are only two viable options:
  1. Buying PSU and GPU that fits future final build now and upgrade other components later
  2. Waiting for appriopriate time to upgrade whole spec

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
go with option 1. buy the best gpu you can now and enjoy whatever performance it gives paired with the 4690k. remember higher resolutions are more gpu bound than cpu. so you'll actually get more out of the 4690k than you think from the gpu perspective. of course many of those shooters and arena battle royal games take a ton of cpu power, so you'll of course lose some performance there. but that won't stop the gpu from being able to handle the resolution.

it'll be fine until you upgrade the rest of the system down the line. no reason to buy a gpu now and then another down the road, just get the best you can get/want now and be done with it. :)