[SOLVED] Separate idle timers for 2 HDDs

Apr 11, 2020
My current setup has SSD and 2 HDDs one for random access every 5-15 min and one for backup.
Main HDD is nearly silent so I wouldn't want to spin up/down constantly because that would strain the HDD.
Since the backup HDD is loud so I would like it to close soon as possible after accessing also it doesn't have to be automatic.
I would like to have separate idle timers for the HDDs but windows 10 doesn't seem to have option for that.

Is there any workaround for that?

Last edited:
I was recently looking into the same issue.

I was told Hard Disk Sentinel should provide options for manually changing settings for sleep states and power management for individual harddrives in the same system.

I never went ahead and tried the software, because I learned that not all harddrives were able to be controlled by certain power and sleep related settings in Hard Disk Sentinel, and what was more important to me, very little documentation is apparently provided in the software, and setting wrong values could cause the harddrive to fail - supposedly, I don't know with 100% certainty.

As far as I understood, the power and sleep settings for individual HDDs are determined by a numerical value, but two identical numerical values apparently does not result in the same settings being applied to drives from different manufactuers. As far as I could understand, to be sure of the correct numerical values, it was required to look up certain manufactuer specific information on each drive, which is possible to find, but require some time to do so.

Since the issue to me wasn't important enough, I didn't want to mess with settings I didn't feel I fully understood, and which at the same time took too much effort to learn about, compared to the fairly small issue I was trying to solve.

So without any actual hands on experience with the programme, it was the only Windows compatible software I personally came across.
There might very well be other programmes available, but I just thought I'd mention the program that seemed most promising to me personally.
But like I said, I never actually used the software, so don't take my reply as a fact

Hard Disk Sentinel

Last edited: