Serial ATA on MSI KT6V-LSR

mark

My question is has anyone setup their Windows XP to run off of the SATA
drive and was there any performance improvement over installing to the EIDE
drive?

--
Mark
MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+

>My question is has anyone setup their Windows XP to run off of the SATA
>drive and was there any performance improvement over installing to the EIDE
>drive?
>
>--
>Mark

My 10,000 rpm Raptor boots to a USABLE desktop in 20-25 seconds.

That's with a cable intenet connection shaking hands AND intel boot agent
slowing things down.

Best boot speed with the WD1000JB was 45 seconds.

Booting three times a day, I save a minute a day...waitaminute, seems
everything loads faster too...

If you use the raptor, you'll save time.
Can't speak for any OTHER brands of SATA HD, but...if it don't run at 10,000
RPM, it's got to be slower.

Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)

mark

Ski,
Did XP have trouble seeing the drive during setup? Alot of users are
reporting this problem...I would like to set mine up as a Raid0 on the
install..any comments?

--
Mark
MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
"Ski" <wrenchski@aol.comspleen> wrote in message
> >My question is has anyone setup their Windows XP to run off of the SATA
> >drive and was there any performance improvement over installing to the
EIDE
> >drive?
> >
> >--
> >Mark
>
> My 10,000 rpm Raptor boots to a USABLE desktop in 20-25 seconds.
>
> That's with a cable intenet connection shaking hands AND intel boot agent
> slowing things down.
>
> Best boot speed with the WD1000JB was 45 seconds.
>
> Booting three times a day, I save a minute a day...waitaminute, seems
> everything loads faster too...
>
> If you use the raptor, you'll save time.
> Can't speak for any OTHER brands of SATA HD, but...if it don't run at
10,000
> RPM, it's got to be slower.
>

> Ski
> "The only way to find out how far is too far...
> is to go there"
> (remove spleen to e-mail)

>Ski,
>Did XP have trouble seeing the drive during setup? Alot of users are
>reporting this problem...I would like to set mine up as a Raid0 on the
>install..any comments?

First, BIOS should be set.
first boot, CD, second boot, SCSI.
ALL OTHER BOOTS DISABLED.

ONLY DRIVES HOOKED UP IN THE MACHINE SHOULD BE
FLOPPY, CD, AND SATA.
PERIOD.
I REALLY MEAN IT.

When the XP install asks you to hit F6 to install other drivers, do so and get
ready to put your raid array flopy disc in...follow the instructions, and it'll
see the disc.

Now, ONE out of the four times I've done this, I had to do the floppy install
of the raid array TWICE, which I attribute to the damn machine not listening
the first time, or sunspots, or estrogen in the room...point being, the second
time it went right in.

When all else fails, go to the MSI forums and read up on the install...there
are SEVERAL threads on problems with this board which *I* attribute to the
interface between the keyboard and the chair...if ya know what I mean.

Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)

mark

Cool...thanks for the tips.