Question Serious Question - Can This PC Run MS Flight Simulator 2020 At 1080P?

AtomikDjakareh_32G

Prominent
Aug 25, 2022
I use my PC for general use, as well is virtualization and now I want to get into some gaming (or in this case, simulation)...

I maxed the machine out to 64GB of RAM (for my virtualization needs) and upgraded the graphics card to a Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB, resizable bar is enabled.
The CPU is the Core i5-11400 (the non-F variant).

I don't need resolutions higher than 1920x1080 and don't care much about the framerate, as long is the simulator is usable.

Wanted to buy MSFS 2020 but don't know if this machine can handle it.

I never used this computer for gaming, but as a sort of workstation type machine...

Not on ultra. But high or medium you get between 30 - 44 FPS on average and that's according to this:

https://www.tomshardware.com/featur...or-benchmarks-performance-system-requirements
That is a good article. Interesting to read that the best setting to get the most out of a decent pc is using Medium settings. I think that is acceptable given that going up from there does not pay off greatly for visual effects as compared to drop in performance. It changed my opinion and I agree that you would be getting decent fps at those settings more like an average of 45 at 1080p.

g-unit1111

Titan
That is a good article. Interesting to read that the best setting to get the most out of a decent pc is using Medium settings. I think that is acceptable given that going up from there does not pay off greatly for visual effects as compared to drop in performance. It changed my opinion and I agree that you would be getting decent fps at those settings more like an average of 45 at 1080p.

Yes exactly, I wouldn’t try to run it on ultra settings with that particular GPU because it is very graphic intensive. High or medium is your best bet.

As a pretty consistent MSFS player the best advice I can give you is to grab a month of GamePass and try it as it is included free. You have the foundations of a solid system there, so as others mentioned, a 3060-class GPU would do just fine. With DLSS you might hit Ultra settings at 1080p 60fps. I'm able to do so at mostly Ultra, some High at 1440p with DLSS Balanced, on a 3060. I'd also recommend an SSD, even a SATA one if you do not run one already. It will decrease loading times substantially and if you have a fast NVMe drive it can reduce a lot of the hitching that can occur over busy cityscapes. I'll also mention the sim is HUGE, make sure you have the space, and space to expand as with each World Update it just keeps getting bigger. The sim isn't as bad resource wise as it was on launch, it's actually quite reasonable now. Good luck!