Server is reading fan error with all fans powered on

StalinDaBomb

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
I recently bought an HP Proliant G6 SE326M1 from a very well reviewed seller on Ebay. If this problem persists they are willing to cover all costs but as per usual time is of the essence and waiting 2 weeks for a turn around is not really the most ideal solution. Anyway this server is reading an error on fan headers 3 and 4. There are 8 fans in total on splitters on headers 1,2,5,6. The server refuses to boot past a certain point as the system requires 5 fans to boot. Headers 3 and 4 even when populated with fans still read a critical fan error. I was wondering if anyone had a solution that didn't require a return. I have tried everything i know to do including moving the jumper to every position of reset. I have also simplified the server as much as possible by removing all RAM but one stick and the same with the CPU's.

razvankdv

Prominent
May 20, 2017

Exactly what pins did you short? / How?

I have almost the same problem, on header 2 and 3 shows warning, the fans tested ok.

StalinDaBomb

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
So. I have a 6 pin fan. It is 2 power, 2 stabilization, and 2 PWM. What I did was short the PWM fan header (the blue and yellow for me). PWM headers are pretty much whichever ones correspond to the fan, as in not stabilization, and are not power (red and black) I bought some fan header extensions and then cut them off and removed the plastic sheathing. I then soldered all of the wires together (I got 3 pin extenders) and covered them in insulation. After this I placed the homemade header shorts over the PWM contacts, and since I got 3 pin headers, done of the stabilization pins. This solved the problem as that PWM sensor then started reading as the fan running at 100%

razvankdv

Prominent
May 20, 2017

Thank you for your quick answear. Unfortunately it does not work for me. It still says Fan 2/3 Warning, and then shuts down.

razvankdv

Prominent
May 20, 2017

I fiddled around with some jumpers (used for shorting) and it actually worked.
I shorted fan header2 PWM and RPM pins, and in fan header 3 I shorted the pins just for one fan (shorting the pins for the other fan changed nothing), and now my sistem shows fan header2 status ok (fully redundant JUMPERS :)) ) and fan header3 warning, not redundant.

In my case it seems that something happened to the RPM sensor on the motherboard.

PS: My server came with redundant fans 4 fan pairs, and something must have gone wrong when I tried to move the motherboard into a Supermicro case wile modifying the cooling sistem.

I wish you all the best dude, you saved my weekend.