Server ????

I have a Poweredge dell server computer with 2 scsi hard drive. It was
bought in 2001. Does anyone have this server or can tell me if i can get
another 2-3 years out of it??? Also is there a way I can test the hard
drives to see if the hard drive will last. It will only be connect to 3
computers just to share files. It was in my other office and I upgraded
because of space and mem but I want to put this in my very small office . I
did take off the NT and installed the xp pro so I have 2 hard drives now
with one with nothing on it and the other with all programs. I will use the
other for all files that have to be saved and shared with the other
computers. If this is Not good can anyone recommand a dell I can use as a
server ?? example maybe optiplex GX 280 and etc ( thank you for your replies

In article <1195ti6pbm4lq9f@corp.supernews.com>, nwppt@bestweb.net
says...

> I have a Poweredge dell server computer with 2 scsi hard drive. It was
> bought in 2001. Does anyone have this server or can tell me if i can get
> another 2-3 years out of it???

<snippety>

You should be able to get a lot more than that. A big chunk of my
Internet presence is based on a Compaq ProLiant 6500 that dates back at
least seven years, and our internal LAN depends on another couple of
ProLiants of about the same age for home directories.

> Also is there a way I can test the hard
> drives to see if the hard drive will last. It will only be connect to 3

The best testing you can do is simply to use them. However, I
would strongly recommend upgrading the box to have three drives in a
RAID-5 array AND keep a couple of spare drives tucked away. This way, if
you lose a drive, you can just pop a replacement in on the fly without
losing any data.

> computers just to share files. It was in my other office and I upgraded
> because of space and mem but I want to put this in my very small office . I
> did take off the NT and installed the xp pro so I have 2 hard drives now

XP Pro does NOT, IMO, make a good server OS. Way too complex and
bloated. That box will do quite well on NT 4.0 Server -- I would
recommend going back to it if you have the distribution media.

If you would like to further your education, computer-wise, you
can get off the Windows bandwagon altogether, at least for the server,
and load up FreeBSD or NetBSD (Unix-type OS's). These are both open-
source OS's, free for the downloading. You could make shared directories
on such visible to (and usable by) Windows-based systems simply by
installing Samba (also free for the downloading).

Happy tweaking.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

TRENDING THREADS